SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Televue 12mm t2 nagler

I don't know this eyepiece but if it's the one for sale at £129 then personally I'd sooner have a 13mm T6 for another £20 used. I am sure it's a brilliant eyepiece and for that money will delight the buyer. there just seem to be other options which have newer coatings and better general performance for me.

I'm sure it would be a good buy but check the eye relief - not sure but think it's quite short. at the end of the day it's a Nagler so will be really good. BUT I would just wait until I had another £20 and hold out for the 13mm T6. see what others think that have used one though. some comments found online below.

"5) TeleVue Nagler 12 mm

(Type 2, $375 list, about $300 street)

The first of the Type 2 Naglers, the 12 mm continues the tradition of optical excellence in the Nagler line. The Type 2 eyepieces contain 8 elements instead of 7, and do not suffer from the Kidney Bean Effect. However, some of the eye relief went away (check one out beforehand if you wear glasses while observing) and some observers feel (myself included) that the Type 2 Naglers are somewhat less sharp than their Type 1 counterparts. The compromise in design arose out of necessity. The 13 mm Nagler is about the largest eyepiece one can build. To achieve longer focal lengths, the eyepieces would have to be huge. According to Rutten and van Venrooij, a 25 mm Nagler would measure 5 inches in diameter and weight close to 25 pounds! Hence, the re-design, and a few sacrifices, with the Type 2 Naglers. Like the 13 mm, the 12 mm has a 1.25" barrel, with a 2" skirt around the outside. The 12 mm Nagler Type 2 has been discontinued in favor of the 12 mm Type 4."

"

The 12mm Nagler "2"

When you get up around 13mm, the Nagler 1 design exhibits a more pronounced "kidney-bean" blackout effect discussed below. Therefore, Televue created a new design, similar to the 1st, which allowed the Naglers to go all the way up to 20mm, without any of the problems associated with the earlier design. The only trade off, is eye relief. While the relief is limited, the placement of the top element right at the plane of the eyepiece makes for very comfortable night-time viewing without glasses, even with the eyecup rolled up. However, with glasses, it is somewhat tight, and you will lose some of the f.o.v.

I have sold, and re-purchased this eyepiece many times, always "missing" the huge panorama, and yet sharp planetary images. I could be mistaken, but the app. field of view seems even larger than 82 in this particular model. I use this eyepiece especially for observing globulars in an 8" or 10" SCT. Perfect mid-high magnification eyepiece to see the whole globular, and it's "context" yet break down the individual stars! This eyepiece is quite heavy, and also features a 1.25/2" hybrid design.I would recommend a 2" diagonal to hold it for security. I had trouble, by the way, seeing the whole field by day...for some reason it was easier to take in at night, must have something to do with pupil size. The 12mm Nagler 2 and the 13mm Nagler 3 have been recently discontinued.."

My first Nagler, bought it used on Astromart. Very nice 100x views in my 10 inch f 4.8 dob. I don't find the eye relief a problem. I love the wide field. Stars appear in focus and sharp across the f.o.v.

Overall Rating: 10

Optics:10 Value:10

Weight: 10 (Trustworthy Vote)

Date: 08/18/2004 07:48:42 pm PST

By: PaulHart

Link to this vote: Excelsis - Display Vote

Reply Replies: 0

I now have a complete collection 7mm, 9mm, 12mm, and 16mm and love them all.(4.8mm has poor eye relief and fogs up fast, 20mm is large and has kidney bean). I use these for all deep sky viewing. Sharp to edge of field. I switch from one eye piece to another on every deep sky object and find out which gives the best view.

All of these eyepieces are close to parafocal (in 1.25 diameter position). Makes viewing fun, fast and a great pleasure.

Have found better eyepieces (just) for planetary viewing, 240x-400x with barlows as you can get some internal reflections with all the elements in the Naglers.

I would recommend these eye piece to anyone.

Weight: 10 (Trustworthy Vote)

Date: 01/06/2002 01:11:50 pm PST

By: AstroMaker

Top notch eyepiece whose only shortcoming is small eye

relief, though for most non-eyeglass wearers this might

not be problem. Tack sharp in my scopes of varying focal

lengths. Sky backgrounds are jet black. Has an advantage

of both the 1.25 and 2 inch collars. Doesn't barlow quite

as well as Pentax XL, but does barlow OK.

Overall Rating: 9

Optics:10 Value:8

Weight: 5 (Veritable Vote)

Date: 03/08/2003 07:14:31 am PST

By: deepsky63

Excellent eyepiece. I treasure my 12mm and 16mm Naglers over all my other eyepieces.

Weight: 1 (Unreliable Vote)

Date: 01/07/2005 11:06:17 pm PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.255.246)

This eyepiece is very close in performance to the 20mm T2, which I hold as the best eyepiece there is. The 12mm T2 is sharp across the field with no color problems. Contrast is good. The eyepiece perfoms well with my TV-85. This will become a collector's item.

BTW, an eyepiece should not be downgraded because of a SCT's "shortcomings".

Date: 11/17/2001 11:59:09 am PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.243.19)

Wonderful eyepiece. Used on a Celestron 8" Celestar.

Date: 06/22/2001 02:59:42 pm PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.39.103)

Excellent sharpness to edge of field in 12.5" & 16" f4.5. Favorite ep in 12.5"

Date: 02/27/2001 02:51:38 pm PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.68.190)

Very sharp for a wide field, though not as flat of field as the type 1 Naglers

Date: 08/02/2000 03:00:35 pm PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.197.162)

My biggest complaint about this eyepiece is that, It seems to have too little eype relief, and just doesn't come to focus in my 8" SCT properly. I will try it out on some other scopes to see if there is something wrong with it. Hence, that is why I gave it a low rating.

Overall Rating: 5

Date: 05/20/2000 08:38:19 am PST

By: Anonymous (xxx.xxx.195.23)

THERE MAY BE BETTER WIDE FIELD EP'S AT GREATER OR LESSER FOCAL LENGTHS, BUT AT 12MM THIS ONE IS #1

Archived