740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

size?

ok i saw jupiter earlier and was impressed, it was small about the same size as my small finger nail but thats what i was expecting and im still amazed by it. But what will other objects look like? take for example the orion nebula, i know its sooo much bigger than jupiter but will it appear large in my eyepiece compared to jupiter, what about the andromeda m31?

It really depends on which magnification and field of view you get from your scope and eyepieces.

For instance in my 130/650 scope and a 15 mm plossl gives me a field of view of approx. 1,15 which is very nice on the Orion Nebula but wont give much detail on jupiter.

So it all depends.

Quite a few DSO's are very large but you will only see the brightest bits of them through a telescope. Don't expect to see any colour either - you (and I!) get spoiled by seeing photographs that have been taken with long exposures to "collect" more light. This should not, however, detract from the truly amazing views these objects can give through the eyepiece!

Having thought about it some more. I agree with bombassa. A 15mm EP would give a better view of M42. I was just talking about your 10mm and 25mm EP's.

I find 10mm too tight on M42 and 25mm is a bit wide but a nice view all the same. Its not the type of object where you want to be right up close to it trying to observe it.

In my scope (130P), M31 is just a small faint fuzzy patch of light shaped like a cigar. It brightens towards the centre but is still faint.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I saw the orion nebula for the first time sunday and loved it, i started as i always do for DSO with my 32mm EP and for orion went down to 15mm, this still kept a fair bit in view and you can clearly see the gasses, very nice view can't wait to look again

I saw the orion nebula for the first time sunday and loved it, i started as i always do for DSO with my 32mm EP and for orion went down to 15mm, this still kept a fair bit in view and you can clearly see the gasses, very nice view can't wait to look again

I had a look at M42 the other night with my 70mm travelscope. I was using a 10/20mm EP. I saw nothing but a distant fuzz and a couple of stars.

It quickly reminded me of the reason i bought the scope (for casual observing while abroad) and i quickly put the scope away and took out my 130P.