Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter frames??

Celeste

Hi, Jupiter has a high rotation speed so you should restrict your capture duration to about 90 seconds and capture as many frames as you can in that time. I don't have the same camera as you so don't know the specific details, but there will be a limit to the frame rate you can achieve. Freddie

I have a different camera and normally capture 3 lots of 1000 frames at 30fps. Use whatever frame rate your camera will allow, but at least 10-15fps. Of the 3000 frames I capture, I normally stack 1000-1500, depending on how good the avi was. Much less and I usually find it a bit grainy. You have 3 mins max with Jupiter before rotation starts to have an effect on your image.

Good luck.

Rachel

I have a different camera and normally capture 3 lots of 1000 frames at 30fps. Use whatever frame rate your camera will allow, but at least 10-15fps. Of the 3000 frames I capture, I normally stack 1000-1500, depending on how good the avi was. Much less and I usually find it a bit grainy. You have 3 mins max with Jupiter before rotation starts to have an effect on your image.

Good luck.

Rachel

Hi, how do you pick and choose which frames to stack? Sorry complete newbie here lol.....I have Sharpcap to video then Registax and onto PS (when I eventually get something worth trying with lol)

Registax will do the choosing once you have selected the reference frame. Pick a frame that looks sharp and is from the middle of the run to allow for rotation of the planet. Then just try with several stack sizes to see which is best. I would expect a big stack to work best on nights of good seeing and a short one on nights of bad seeing, but that is a guess.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/

.... and is from the middle of the run to allow for rotation of the planet.....

Olly, it had never occurred to me to select a frame from the middle of the run. Interesting though.

Would that result in a sharper stack than one taken from the beginning? I can see the logic in that, now.

Grab 4mins worth ! dependent upon conds and fl but you could try 15fps- then pick the best 400-500 frames . If conds are good go for more/better quality frames BUT try to avoid going over 4mins -if your fl is around f30 you may have to shorten the time

Sorry I really should put the scope details in my sig.....it's a skywatcher 150P-DS 750F....having browsed youtube for said scope and webcam and I see good looking AVI's with a decent sized Jupiter, I get a tiny blob of husky orange with a band just visible....I guess I just have to keep trying :icon_eek:

A small orange blob would be what one would most likely expect if operating the scope /cam at it's native Prime focus , F5. - you need to try and wrack it up to f20 at least and ideally higher- F30 for Jupiter and F35 + for Saturn. Of course the cam involved would also have something to do with it but essentially F5 is just too short. Get a decent barlow and extend that focal length :icon_eek:

Archived