SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20mm Explore Scientific 100° Nitrogen Purged Eyepiece

I know that Mel (Astro Baby) did a very comprehensive review of her 14mm Explore Scientific 100 degree EP. However, has anyone bought the 20mm version? I fancy having the 21mm Ethos but its too expensive even though I will part fund it by selling my 26mm Nagler. I thought this 20mm EP would be a good alternative.

Any opinions?

Mark

Yes I do even in my light polluted back garden. Its best at dark sky sites and I reach for that and the 21 ethos about the same. There is definitely enough of a difference between them to justify both. If anything I like it a touch more than the 21mm. Before I got it I heard of loads of people experiencing blackouts but I get none of that. Its really nice to look through.

Regarding the 21mm ethos I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my first comment. When buying it before I hit the button and shelled out a load of dosh I just thought what the hell. :icon_eek: I wouldn't of been happy if I didn't and going by what one sold for on ebay recently I would only loose £50 if I sold it. Its a brilliant eyepiece but it does not replace the 31mm Nagler as others have suggested. It will replace the 26mm Nagler. I Hope this helps?

Well I dont particularly like the 100' fov thing myself but I honesly dont think you'd be disappointed with the ES. i presume the 21mm Ethos has a bigger price differential between it and the ES.

I really doubt anyone could eally tell the two apart on pure visual use, I find te ES marginally more comfy to use but thats something thas going to be different for everyone.

Thanks for that info Kef9 it was really useful. I think I will have a look at the Ethos 21mm when I go to Astrofest before making a final decision.

Mark

Yes try before you buy but when you see that many stars in such a wide field you will want one! :D

My advice would be to wait until a telescope house sale and then buy. Its a shame you missed the one a christams before the VAT rise. Its now crossed the £700 barrier! :icon_eek:

I cant believe I just bought a 8mm ethos to complete the set because none ever come up second hand. One apperead on AB&S for £300 the other day. Gutted but never mind. I don't know why he was selling at such a cheap price?

I have an 20mm ES (and a 13mm Ethos) and love it. I couldn't afford a 21mm Ethos but I don't regret not finding up the extra cash. I may be wide of the mark here but given how the views in the 13mm Ethos and the 20mm ES compare I can't see the 21mm Ethos being THAT much better to justify the extra money.

I think it's interesting that the ES are nitrogen purged as most of my rifle scopes were the same. This prevents fogging, ghosting and also makes them waterproof. A handy thing to have in a EP specification I would have thought given the environments they are used in a times. I think the ES comes in a little heavier than the Ethos though ???

From what I hear the prices will be going up not down. A lot of China is now battling for better fair trade and better wages mean higher over heads which means more expensive goods. I believe FLO has already confirmed that there is word of Synta joining so it won't be long until the other astronomy equipment MFR's in China join.

Telescope House said to me that all the prices were going up aswell.

Back on the topic - If you plan to keep the eyepiece forever and you dont mind the fact that it doesnt have green lettering then get the ES. because the view will be similar.

However if you plan to resell at some time in the future or you are an eyepiece snob like me then you are better off with the ethos. Personally I would not spend anything over £300 on an eyepiece that wasn't either ziess, TV or pentax.

Archived