SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First pics with home made Baader filter

johnnychaos

I got some Baader solar film and made a filter for my 150mm sywatcher dob. Felt very nervous about using it, but it turned out pretty good.

These were taken with a Canon EOS 300D.

The close up was using a Skywatcher 2x barlow.

I've obviously tweaked these in photoshop, boosting the yellow and red.

johnnychaos-albums-general-pics-picture8358-sun-0901-2011-red-yellow-boosted-photoshop-baader-solar-film-150p-skywatcher-dob-canon-eos-300d.jpg

johnnychaos-albums-general-pics-picture8359-sun-0901-2011-red-yellow-boosted-photoshop-baader-solar-film-150p-skywatcher-dob-canon-eos-300d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have just made a solar filter using the Baader film for my WO FLT98. Funny stuff that super glue, I wonder when I will be able to feel the ends of my fingers again? That wasn't the question by the way!

I have a canon 500D and wondered what settings you used to get your pics, Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Looks good to me too. With my Vixen and Baadar film, I use 1/500. On a very clear day (you know the ones where the sky is really blue 1/1000, on a rough day 1/250). Setting my camera at A mode (aperture priority, wide open) generally guves good exposures for full disc images.

PS Run water on your hands and use normal (ie bar) soap. It will come off eventually.

Archived