Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kindles, anyone?

ollypenrice

Exactly!

Read 'A Christmas Carol' over Christmas; halfway thru 'Dorian Gray' at the moment and still got Darwin's 'On the Origin of the Species' to come. Excellent and no worries about due dates or overdue fines either.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 2nd gen version (imported from the States) and love it, had to buy one for my wife for xmas so she doesn't pinch mine.

I see Turn Left at Orion is available on it, would it be worth getting on the Kindle or is this where you need the book itself?

Exactly!

Read 'A Christmas Carol' over Christmas; halfway thru 'Dorian Gray' at the moment and still got Darwin's 'On the Origin of the Species' to come. Excellent and no worries about due dates or overdue fines either.

By Gad, what fine taste you have!

Olly

My wife bought me one for Christmas. Great screen that is similar to paper/ink. It has a slightly first generation feel about it (no touch screen, page turns tend to 'blink' and the interface is a bit clunky) but it is compact, convenient and addictive. I added the Amazon leather case with a neat built-in reading light. The future has arived. Good stuff :)

Another salute to the Kindle. No more lugging heavy books around, no more wondering where to put the books with the bookcase already crammed. I love the ink idea to reduce eye strain and so that you can read electronic books outside no problemo.

For the price, I think it's pretty amazing.

I've got a kindle 3g+wireless, and enjoy it a lot. I'm a big reader, and can highly recommend it. I tend to read classic lit a lot, so there are lots of books I can get for very cheap or free. Newer books run anywhere from 5$-19.99$. They are usually 9.99$ this is american prices, I don't know what they'd be in europe.

My misses bought me a Kindle not so long ago. However I can't help liking real paper books, i'm a bit of a nerd like that. I've always been a book fan and our house is crammed with them. Probably why she bought me the Kindle thinking about it.

I seem to be one of the few that is not a fan of the E Readers. I think they have their place for use in replacing the tons of text books that students have to carry around, but I think they will eventually kill the printed word, one of my hobbies is collecting antique books so my opinion may be biased.

I seem to be one of the few that is not a fan of the E Readers. I think they have their place for use in replacing the tons of text books that students have to carry around, but I think they will eventually kill the printed word, one of my hobbies is collecting antique books so my opinion may be biased.

Yes, though on the other hand your antique book collection might well skyrocket in value as e readers take hold! For academics the loss of the personally annotated copies of other writers might prove a significant loss in the future, too. Will there be antiquaries of old Kindle hard drives from the famous thnkers, I wonder? (Do they have hard drives? Not a clue.)

Olly

I like the way you can download sample chapters for free. I think I'd downloaded the turn left at orion a while back but can't remember what I thought of it.

I've just done that and only read the first bit, the contrast on mine isn't as good as the 3rd gen ones and so I don't think the images will work, which is a shame as being able to add notes would have been good.

Archived