Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kindles, anyone?

ollypenrice

Anyone out there reading by means of Kindles? Living in France and in a distinctly quiet place my only really nearby source of books is a local charity shop which I visit in order to pick up the cast-offs of a lady in Chateauneuf whom I have never met! I've read lots of her books though... I can read in French but get tired more quickly and like to spend some time in my native tongue.

But with my newly ordered Kindle I should have a ball with instant access to all sorts. I checked out the astronomy books of course!

Amazon.com: astronomy - Kindle eBooks: Kindle Store

I know paper is nicer but so is thinking, Hey, I want to read Treasure Island again, now!

Olly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly, i bought 1 for the missus for Xmas, and its brilliant the display is amazing unlike a normal hand-held device screen, it uses "electronic ink" and it is really impressive as good as reading in a book if not better,also u can change the font size ito sort your eyes,deffo worth getting for u mate only takes a few seconds to download books.

Got my wife one for Xmas. ITS BRILLIANT. The other software types of books can be easily converted to Kindle format but I bought her indoors a collection for £9 with 20000 books in it on CD

All the classics are down-loadable from Amazon for coppers or for free when out of copyright.

Bouight my wife a Kindle for Christmas. She had doubts before she switched it on but then she was surprised how good it is. She is an avid reader but suffers from severe Rheumatoid Arthritis especially in her hands and finds holding printed books quite tiring, so Kindle seems to be the perfect solution being both small and light.

RonJ

I've just downloaded the Kindle reader software for PC. I'm not sure whether it'll be quite the same reading on screen though (and a bit dangerous for reading in the bath!!)

Helen

Lady Chatterley could be more shocking than ever!!

Olly

Bought a Kindle for Girlfriend for Christmas....She loves it, says its the best present shes ever had..Im in the good books!!...:evil6: She said wouldnt want one because she likes the feel of a book in her hand as it were(tactile)..But the electronic ink makes it look alot like a book..Hopefully we can have a bit more room in our "tiny" cottage now...Is the saying cook or burn the books?....:)

I bought my wife one and she is a massive book fan. However she really loved the kindle. He biggest worry was she has a large collection of fan stories in various formats she reads on her PC, she wanted them on the Kindle. I found a piece of software called Calibre that will allow you to put these file on the kindle and read them.

It's an amazing piece of kit however my wallet doesn't like the fact she has instant access to so many book on the kindle store!!!!

I have the kindle reader (along with aldiko) on my android phone and pc and am surprised how much I use it. It's so convenient having the book you're reading always with you always synced to your current position. Reading from a phone screen isn't ideal, although more comfortable than I imagined when I tried it for the first time. I'm trying to hold out for an android reader with an e-ink screen rather than jumping straight onto the kindle bandwagon so I can read books in epub etc.. formats from other stores. My main irk is that so many books are more expensive in electronic format than for the actual paper copy.

What's with everyone buying one for their wives? That's what I did too!

I had a good bash with the latest Stephen King over the holiday as she was otherwise occupied and I rate the device very highly. Incredibly easy to read in all but the dimmest light (very much like a real book). The screen has an eerily paper-like quality that takes a little getting used to, but once you're over that hurdle it's awesome. I read for three or four hours straight with no problem.

The only thing I don't approve of is that it doesn't come with a case, and the latest ones on Amazon are fifty quid!

There are also plenty of free ebooks available from places like project guttenberg, not sure if they are in kindle format, but I think Callibre can convert them if they aren't. And the kindle reads any mobipocket format, and I have a fair number in that format already from my Palm Treo

My main irk is that so many books are more expensive in electronic format than for the actual paper copy.

I'm considering getting one but this really puts me off, I just don't understand the pricing of e-books.

Owners of kindles: are books in general cheaper on the kindle? How many books does it store?

I also bpught one for my wife - I was fed up with being asked to put up more bookshelves. She loves it, but it does have the habit of freezing and then you have to hold the "on" button to the side for a while to reset it.

I've got Kindle on my iPhone and love it! It's great for when I'm stuck waiting for an appointment and will be a God send now I'm covering more of London, so will be tube/training it more.

I've downloaded loads of the free classics which I'm slowly reading my way thru. Hasn't cost me a penny yet!

I've got Kindle on my iPhone and love it! It's great for when I'm stuck waiting for an appointment and will be a God send now I'm covering more of London, so will be tube/training it more.

I've downloaded loads of the free classics which I'm slowly reading my way thru. Hasn't cost me a penny yet!

Yes, like you I do actually like a lot of the virtuous classics so free sounds fine to me. Also my eyes can't cope with loved old copies on fading paper any more so no sentiment is being squandered!

Olly

Archived