SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod?

Nexus 6

Hi SGL, I am now the owner of a pair of Helois Quantum 4 20x90 bins, they weigh a fair bit (3.7 kgs). Now I know I need a strong heavy duty tripod with a decent head. I was advised to look at the Manfrotto 161 with the Bogan 116 head, that's a lot of cash, the best price I have found the Manfrotto for is £346.00, cant seem to find anything on the Bogan head, any links anyone? I have looked a cheaper alternative to the above again any views guys/gals?

Alan

Seriously, do not skimp on the mounting -- insubstantial wobble-mounts are an endless source of frustration. Something like a Manfrotto 475B tripod with a 501 head should be adequate.

Have ordered the tropod/head combo you advised tetenerre. It looks like it will handle the weight as it has a maximum load capacity of 12kgs so should accept the 3.6kgs of the Helios easilly.

At turkey sandwitch, thanks for the link to Rother Valley, I had checked out their web site already bit coud'nt decide which kit to go for, thought i'd check with thread.

Appreciate the advice, thanks once again

Alan

You have another option altogether, ideally suited to astronomy and which can allow you to sit down. The tripod doesn't get in your way when you are approaching the zenith. It is called the parallelogram mount and I think Telescope House used to make a version.

Olly

Well I now have the tripod/head combo and am waiting for the bins which should come anytime soon.

Olly, thanks for the Parallelogram advice, I did do a search on the forum and found one or two posts on them. I was not sure how it would work so went for the tripod option. I must say it is indeed very robust I fell it will hold the bins with very little vibration. I will be posting some pics of this kit along with my 925 for comparison.

Keith, I did talk to FLO about the porta mount, I may have missed a trick here but was again in two minds so went for the standard option, ironically the combo I have was more exspensive than the porta.

appreciate your views on this,

Alan

Have ordered the tropod/head combo you advised tetenerre. It looks like it will handle the weight as it has a maximum load capacity of 12kgs

OK, a couple of things you should know:

Firstly, it's a video head -- it "expects" to have the weight near the mounting plate, not raised off it by the L-bracket. The turning moment increases as you view at higher altitudes -- with my Miyauchi 20/37x100, which are about twice the weight of yours, I need the altitude friction quite tight when I observe near the zenith with the 501.

Secondly, you need to reverse it, or you can look at the nadir, but are limited to an altitude of about 60* . More details in the "mounting" page here.

Someone mentioned parallelograms -- mine is shown on the mounting page (above); paralellograms are fantastic, but they must be substantial. The good ones are made by Universal Astronomics; the UK agent is SCS Astro.

I hope to give them a test as soon weather allows.

Don't wait that long, Alan, get to "know" the kit indoors, so that everything you do outdoors has been practiced in the warm and light; things feel different in the dark with numb fingers! :icon_eek:

Archived