SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Messier etiquette

Nick P

I log it if I see it and then confirm it if I can find it again in the same place on a separate night.

I take a small note/sketch book out with me and sketch whenever I can. Then I write it up and my big log book later, back in the warm. I use an Excel sheet that was posted in another thread a while back, to keep track of which objects I have/have not seen.

Rik

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do keep a log (on paper), and makes notes on appearance. I used to do some sketching, but that was years back (like 1980). I have a list on one page of the logbook in which I underline each object found, with the date, and comments. I do tend to confirm marginal observations by second observation before logging them as seen.

Excellent thread, I really must do a list, for my part I do have a small log on the nights observing, not that its too full due to the wonderfull British weather. Targets I choose I may have already viewed, reason being, the conditions are so variable I like to see what I make of the view presented on that night. In total no more than 30-40 so far.

Alan

I agree with this Michael, but also find by sketching and logging the view, next time I do see it I can compare with previous detail visible which adds to my enjoyment of the view - especially if I can tease out some extra detail previously unseen - a bit like getting to know a new friend!

Thats the great thing about astronomy - no rules, no competition, do it just the way you want, take as much, or as little as you want from the hobby :icon_eek:

Couldn't agree more John, this is clearly a very personal thing :D

Just a note.. i think the word "prove" in your original post might have been what brought up the subject of people claiming to have seen things which they didn't.

Thanks for pointing that out Talitha, I was a little nonplussed - must check the wording of my posts properly:rolleyes:

Best

Nick

I agree with this Michael, but also find by sketching and logging the view, next time I do see it I can compare with previous detail visible which adds to my enjoyment of the view - especially if I can tease out some extra detail previously unseen - a bit like getting to know a new friend!

I second that! :icon_eek:

I only really do it for my own satisfaction so as long as I am convinced I've seen it then that's good enough. I always try and check it again soon after. I also like to try and draw anything new, again just because I like to do so.

I third the above statemant.

To whom it may concern there is a Messier certificate from Messier club.

This is a special recognition for those that have observed most or all of the Messier objects.

Messier Club Introduction | The Astronomical League

Sounds interesting. I am at 74 out of 110 at the moment, so I should send them my log

One sighting is enough for me to say I've seen it. I have a star atlas, so if I am in the right place and I can see something, then that's enough to convince me. I am about halfway, with 55 ticked off, all without the aid of Go-to. Some, unfortunately, are just that bit too low to be seen from my back garden so for those, there may be only a handful of nights a year when they appear in the right place to be seen (and then it's cloudy). The ones I am really not sure of are all the Virgo galaxies. So because I haven't been able to definitively say which ones I have seen, I haven't ticked them off. I am hoping that come spring time I will sit down with the star atlas and see if I can nail some of them.

I found this list quite nice - it has a little thumbnail for each object. I just printed this off and tick them off as I go.

Rachel

I am going to put all my DSO observation notes into a data base format. For each object you can add observations, sketches, etc. This would allow me to access the data either by observation date (what did I do on a given evening, what were the conditions) or by object. Listing objects observed by Messier or NGC numbers is then trivial.

I'm very harsh on myself when it comes to ticking the 'seen it' box. Because I only have bins at the moment I will only let it count if I think I won't get a better view of it through a scope. I know I've found M31 the Andromeda galaxy on numerous occasions, but I want to see it through a scope before I actually claim it. So basically I'm only claiming the odd cluster for the moment.

NGC884 & NGC869 the double cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus is my fave so far. :)

Problem is, due to lack of space, I won't be getting a scope until I move house, so that could be 18 months away yet :).

Archived