Greeting from Essex!

Neil78

Hi folks,

I'm a complete beginner from Essex, and I'm hoping I'll be able to pick a few of the more experienced brains over the coming months (years??) to increase my learning, which has already been steep!

Have always been really interested in astronomy since I was a child, producing a project on the solar system that totally enthralled me. This Christmas my girlfriend bought me a vista 80 400 which I've been viewing the moon through, much to my delight. Will be turning itnon the other planets soon...

What I'm especially keen on doing is getting into astrophotography; I have a few bits and pieces which hopefully will get me started, now all I need is some sage advice...!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil and welcome to SGL :)

If you are looking at the moon currently then look over to the left at the brightest star in the sky. That's actually Jupiter. If it's not obvious then download "Stellarium" to confirm it's position. Stellarium is free and will show you the sky as viewed from your location. All the best.

Thanks guys!

Yes did try to get a look at jupiter this evening, but it was a little cloudy. Hopefully tommorow...

Thanks for the heads up about stelarium; I downloaded it onto my laptop just the other night. Equally, if not more useful, I've found at the moment is the Star Walk app for the iPad; hold it up to the sky, and it shows you what you're looking at, and moves around with you!

Always good to hear from another Essex boy!

Another Essexonian Newbie here as well (is that the correct term or did I just make it up?) Starwalk is a great app for the iPad, another one I have is Pocket Universe which seems aimed at the more serious amateur - starwalk seems for those with a passing interst (but pretty as anything eh??)

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.

I'm not a sage but can I recommend that you read "Making Every Photon Count" by the forum's own Steve Richards (FLO £19.95). This is a comprehensive guide to what you need to know, what kit you need to get to produce the type and standard of image you want to achieve. Good deep sky imaging I'm afraid doesn't come cheap and this book might indeed save you money. It's so important to have this overview from the start so that you plan and purchase the appropriate equipment. Regrettably, there are many who for example bought a large dobsonian which is great for observing but very limited for imaging.

Clear skies

James

Archived