Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS Lunar transit

Hypernova

I have just been out with the 'scope observing the very nice conjunction of the Moon and Jupiter which is currently due south. I noted that there was an ISS pass scheduled for tonight but I decided not to bother imaging it.

I was watching this transit and I noticed it was heading straight towards the moon so I pointed the finder at the moon and went to the eyepiece before the space station got there.

I then saw the absolutely amazing sight of the ISS, with it's solar panels in full view, pass straight across the surface of the Moon!!! :)

It only lasted a second or two but it was an awe-inspiring sight, I am glad I dragged myself out to view it. Next time one of those transits is forecast I will attempt to image it, though it might be tricky with the small FOV of my webcam, I will have to chose the point on the moon carefully.

I have just been out with the 'scope observing the very nice conjunction of the Moon and Jupiter which is currently due south. I noted that there was an ISS pass scheduled for tonight but I decided not to bother imaging it.

I was watching this transit and I noticed it was heading straight towards the moon so I pointed the finder at the moon and went to the eyepiece before the space station got there.

I then saw the absolutely amazing sight of the ISS, with it's solar panels in full view, pass straight across the surface of the Moon!!! :)

It only lasted a second or two but it was an awe-inspiring sight, I am glad I dragged myself out to view it. Next time one of those transits is forecast I will attempt to image it, though it might be tricky with the small FOV of my webcam, I will have to chose the point on the moon carefully.

I was lucky enough to remember that the transit was due and managed to let my wife and son see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived