Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2" eyepiece advice

andrew63

I have a 1.25 32mm televue which is a lovely lens, but after using a 15mm apogee I would like more angle 70 plus in a low power eyepiece. I have been looking at 2" 33mm swans and alder optic 32mm which is much cheaper clone? I would need 2" diagonal and seen this antares Antares Antares 2" Mirror star diagonal

Any comments? I know either eyepiece will not match the sharpness of my televue but would this setup give reasonable quality views of more expanse? I would be using a celestron 100ed at f9.

Thanks, andrew

I would love to see if the adlers do perform well, i think more of them would sell if they were reviewed and favourable, the fact that when i was looking for a wide field i couldn't find a review put me off.

I did considering buying one to review, but without the swan and a fast scope to try them in would prove difficult to get a good review.

The Antares 2" diagonals are good value - I had one a few years back and it worked fine. I've tried a couple of clones of those Adler's and they work fine in F/8 or slower scopes. I'm really not convinced that the SWAN 33mm would give you any better performance from what I've read about those.

To be honest though, I wonder why you are thinking about a 2" 32mm when you have one of the best 1.25" 32mm's available ? - OK, you get a wider field of view but the outer parts of it may still have some astigmatism and I doubt the light transmission and sharpness of the Adlers or SWAN's will beat, or even equal, the Tele Vue 32mm plossl.

thanks for advice on diagonal, i want a lower power wide to go with 15mm apogee which seems a good lens - somewhere between 20 and 30ish but a lot seem very heavy - meade, hyperion and as i use light az4 mount for grab and go i do want heavy eyepices on end of scope - 32mm televue is about the most weight i like. Any suggestions of wide field that are not too bulky? Thats why i was looking at swan as its only 400grm

Archived