SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces stolen :(

r-mo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a bit after the horse has bolted but might be a good idea to mark with with a UV pen, any gear you leave outside and then mention this if unfortunate to have it happen.

I really hate thieves. They are total scum bags. I hope they get their come-uppance but fear you'll never see these again.

What would worry me even more is that it seems VERY unlikely that someone just happened to pop into your garden when you are inside.

personally I would be asking myself just how well I got on with my neighbours. Unless your garden backs onto a lane, then I would think that someone is keeping an eye on your activities.

Whats up fellas, Ive had problems in the past with thieves. So i don't take any chances any more, i live in not the greatest neighborhood. What i do is have ears in the backyard at all times, I also have a live camera on me and my yard, We work too hard to have our stuff taken.:) You need to attach a little camera to your roof and just turn it on when you're out there with all your equipment and think about taking up arms, because if they have big enough nerves to jump into your garden when your home, what if they acquire a gun they could try to jack you for your scope, at gun point!

Thats terrible..To think you cant enjoy a hobby in your own back garden...Makes me very angry..:)..Have you got a security light which you could turn on when you go inside?..Then you will be able to see when someone comes into your garden and maybe take out your Samurai Sword if you had one!!..Mines a beauty......

Please note I have edited one or two words in some of the above posts to ensure they all comply with the Code of Conduct. I have tried to retain meaning in the phrases concerned. Do remember we are a familly based forum :)

Like has already been mentioned it sounds too opertunist in my eye's that they just happened to be going through gardens? I'd be looking at the scumbags that live close to you...maybe even see your garden from there bedroom window? I left all my imaging gear in my garden last night laptop included, while I was sat in the living room watching a bit of telly and chatting...Now I'm going to stay out with it at all times!

Hope you manage to track them down? Might be a help if you ask neighbours if anything else has been stolen from sheds etc over the last few weeks?

I hope you can claim on your insurance and get the stuff back?

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear thats happened. I think Zakalwe might be onto something though - bit of a coincidence they came into your garden just as you were inside, sounds like they were watching.

I think as others have said what goes around, comes around.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your EP's, buddy. Hope you find the pond-life responsible...

BTW, r-mo, last year someone tried to take my set-up from the back yard. Luckily I caught 'em red-handed, but I now have mine wired up to a cheap loop alarm, as recommended by Psychobilly. I have a loop of wire wound around the OTA, and pass it through a hole in the leg-spreader on the tripod. The alarm-sounder is fixed in the back-porch. It probably isn't foolproof, but it gives me peace of mind if I ever have to leave the set-up for a short-while.

You can find Psychobilly's alarm here:- http://stargazerslounge.com/lounge/104412-word-caution.html

Check out your local Cash Converters, they might end up there, people round here would sell that sort of stuff for a £5 fix!

That'd be my first port of call, any used goods shops, camera exchange places etc. Might even be worth asking the old bill where to look, they know the fences well.

You can get PIR's that sound an alarm in the house if activated, without turning a light on, or in addition to it. They work wirelessly and simply plug in inside. About £30 from B&Q IIRC.

Last time there was somebody in our garden at night he pulled a knife out when I tackled him, better to scare them off from safety.

:)

Not much consolation for you but I am so sorry that this has happened. You would think that in your own backyard you could have some sense of security.

Crazy isn't it. Some kind chap/chapess stole my wifes lovely potted plants, including a bay tree in a pot that was about 6 feet tall. All of this happened whilst we were at home preparing a meal in broad daylight. Brazen doesn't cover it I don't think !

Archived