I got something called Smart Water from my local police station to put

on my expensive stuff when he gave me the S M i thought he was

having a laugh it comes in a womans mascaras thingymajig but then i

noticed the label with the giant X & highly flammable on it

clear skies :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear your news. Much of my non astro stuff (tools, etc) is engraved with my postcode. At least it is traceable. I have avoided inscribing scopes, eyepieces etc because of the impact on 2nd hand value. You know how some folks don't want to buy kit that has been looked through too hard. But seriously, what does anyone think about marking kit? Would it put you off buying? I know it won't stop the opportunist gits, but it will make identification easier if the kit turns up. I once heard of someone who saw their stolen driveway gates in their new location. But in the absence of identifying mark, they were stumped.

Have you reported it to the police btw? If they ever do catch them, (quite often they have a good idea which particular junkie is "working" where) then they will need to know some details to help with prosecution.

I got something called Smart Water from my local police station to put

on my expensive stuff when he gave me the S M i thought he was

having a laugh it comes in a womans mascaras thingymajig but then i

noticed the label with the giant X & highly flammable on it

clear skies :)

Interstesting stuff, I had heard of this, got to be worth it to give yourself a chance of reclaiming any stolen kit back.

Alan

Omg that's terrible am very sorry to hear this :). it makes you wonder what makes these kind of people tick. i used to live in the Leicester area myself a few years ago and i remember that your area amongst some others had a bad name in many respects. i hope you will get it all back eventually i am keeping my fingers crossed that you do anyway best of luck.

Regards Rob. Gzerojvk

Is there anyone who might see you out there regularly? Or have seen you that night? The pointlessness suggests it might be kids since most adults would surely have got the camera. It might be neighbouring youths is all I'm thinking, in which case contacting schools might be worthwhile. They are also often creatures of habit so might be around again.

A bike was stolen at a triathlon I was taking part in and, as a teacher, I knew lots of local kids. When I heard the news and realized that I'd seen a well known juvenile bike thief around the corner we rang the Police and they got him red handed. He 'had found it in a field.' Result! So maybe try the schools, really.

Olly

Actually I have been meaning to post this question for a little time. I work from an area common to an apartment block, in other words a public area more vulnerable than a back garden. Not that I leave stuff unattended for long, but sometimes getting set up requires more than one trip, so camera and netbook are potential targets. Is there a way of alarming them. I suppose with a web cam set to movement detection....

Awful thing to happen. I really hope they catch the thieves, and that you get your stuff back. I often leave my scope out to cool down, but then my garden backs onto a wide, deep, and cold pond, so only VERY determined thieves could get in. I should keep an extra eye out now its frozen over, though.

Shicking news. Hope you find out who nicked your stuff. If you have a 6 foot fence all round, without casting aspersions, one of your neighbours could probably see you from their first floor, setting up, etc.

Reason I say this is that it happened to a mate of mine a while back but he caught the little ******d in the act and phoned the police.

This is on the increase, my other main hobby is session c a r p fishing we might be bivvied up at a lake for a week and crack heads will try to take the rods alarms and reels, when you consider these rods can cost £300 per rod, same for the reels and a set of alarms £400 it can be a lot to lose

Bad luck mate. My first thought was: do you have any disgruntled neighbours? Any that you've had a falling out with? Not that I wish to stir up extra paranoia, but so often these things are close to home. Have you been able to claim insurance?

This will certainly make me think twice in the future - I often go to bed and leave my setup taking darks in the back garden. I even considered when I went out Saturday night to leave the camera imaging - wouldn't have been a clever idea, right?

Archived