Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which red dot finder?

Hmmm ... I want to replace the stock RA finder on my newshiny 300P flextube with a red dot thingy and a green laser. I already have a laser, but they're next to useless in these temperatures. The GSO one on the Lightbridge was OK, but a total pain in the rear to collimate - tiny allen keys in the dark aren't a recipe for success!

So ...

1) Telrad

- Reasonably cheap.

- Big & Ugly

- Concentric ring indicators at 0.5, 2 and 4 degrees.

- Heavy.

- Possible tricky eye placement close to the OTA.

2) Rigel Quickfinder

- Reasonably cheap.

- Tall & Ugly.

- Nasty plasticky.

- Concentric ring indicators at 0.5 and 2 degrees.

- Lightweight.

- Tall housing makes easy eye placement.

3) Baader Sky Surfer V

- Expensive

- Great build quality

- No concentric ring indicators.

- Heavy.

I'm currently falling in the direction of the Rigel, unless anybody can add anything to my analysis which would sway me in a different direction ...

Cheers,

I thought the Telrad was ugly when I first got it, especially as it's huge mounted on my 4" refractor, but it has a certain charm about it, largely born out of the fact it's such a beautifully functional piece of gear.

Dead easy to collimate.

Big yes, but not heavy.

Maybe "Ugly" is too harsh a word, but it certainly ain't pretty :)

So, the concensus is definetely Telrad! RVO don't have any stock at the mo, so I'll have to scour Google for an alternative supplier.

Cheers,

Telrad. PS Its not heavy! It is big but it is empty (apart from the batteries) so it weighs very little. Also you can buy extra bases and therefore mount it on all your scopes as required. I think Altair Astro are cheapest ( they are the importers - I think).

Archived