Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SSP 2011

Darren, I know it's still early days but have you finalised the dates yet? I'm in the process of booking our family holiday and want to make sure I'm available for the star party.

Cheers,

Jon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening all!

I dont think youre getting the picture with reference to sixpenny handley! BOTH FIELDS ARE FULL, so there will be no camping for anybody in august at all!

Ive been hard at work behind the scenes and to be honest im blumming knackered organising it and keeping everyone happy and im trying my best for you all! The talk of being unhappy with what im trying to do is quite upsetting as Im working so hard to make the event cater for everyone!

This year is the 5th SSP and ive been busy ( and so have many others ) trying to make it special. So................... here it is...............

SSP this year MAY happen in the october half term 23rd-30th Oct but to be confirmed over the next day or 2! WE WILL HAVE THE WHOLE ELECTRIC FIELD TO OURSELVES so nobody needs to worry! I have the Hogroast returning with the catering company dealing with all the carving and cooking, I have the planetariums returning after the success they were in 2009!!!! I also have magazines, TV, radio and Interviews in the final stages of organising and im hoping for a world famous speaker (not yet confirmed). Im also in the process of setting up an OFFICIAL SSP WEBSITE to showcase the SSP and take all payments through this!

As you can see and some of you may have noticed, this is no easy feat now I am on my own doing this! I am working a fulltime job, a part time job and this, aswell as more family deaths ( not been a good few years for me), so if im not here to answer all your questions I apologise in advance.

I hope you all understand the difficulties that im facing and that you can understand why its taking me a little bit longer than usual to set up, please bare with me and i promise you, you will have the best SSP ever!!

Thankyou all

Darren :)

Hi Darren,

As a newbie, I salute your efforts.

Not sure why you are doing this on your own, or mainly on your own and not sure how as a newbie I could possibly help, but please contact me if I can be of assistance.

Best regards

Chris

Darren you know I truly appreciate the work you put into this so please dont see this as a negative. Its just October will be a non starter for me, its a bit kf a shame cos I have been at them all apart from the first one but I just dont fancy camping in October so I will definitely bow out but I truly hope its a success for you.

Bit of a bummer really as we invested in all the camping gear last year but hey ho, we'll go do our own thing I guess.

What about the first week of May, over the bank holiday? We (South Coast Astro & Salisbury Plain Observing Group) had enquired about having a joint star party there (Sixpenny) for that week and it wasn't a problem.

The weather is comparable, if not better, than August. Hours of darkness are near identical to August. There's no other star party, as Kelling and SGL6 have already passed a over month previous. It's new moon week, so perfect.

Just a thought.

Russ

Again russ already enquirer about may. The problem with bank holidays is the campsite books up well in advance and they won't let an event like this happen over their bank holiday bookings. Glad October is looking good for you all.

Just to think it started with just 4 of us in a field. Makes the feeling even more rewarding when I know where it all started and who made it possible............ All of you :). Thankyou.

Darren :)

Oh no!

Just caught up with this thread and noticed the date change. I was going to suggest trying to get to this SP but now it clashes with the Keilder Autumn one. Well I guess there's next year

Anni

Hey Darren, and everyone... I'm slowly emerging from the AstroFest Aftermath so sorry for being massively quiet the last few weeks (and months!), but a few days in October should be just fine for me. Well done on working so hard to make it all happen, I know how busy you are!

Oh, I've just seen I'm doing a talk at Wiltshire AS on 1 Nov, that is very convenient indeed!!! PLease keep those Oct dates and I'll spend Mon/Tues working from a field somewhere in Wiltshire...LOL!!! :-D :-D

Emz

The last week would be quite cold in October and that puts me off camping but maybe if the skies are clear on a given night (judging by the previous day's forecast) would I be able to drive down during the day, set up - stay for the talks/social during the day, observe and image at night and pack up and leave without camping?

There's a car park near the toilet blocks so car headlights etc shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I assume that I'd still need a pitch (definitely need electricity), I just wouldn't be putting a tent on it.

Might this be an option Darren?

To anyone considering it (assuming you're hardy enough to take on a Halloween-time camping session), SSP last year was a very good star party, well organised and good fun! :)

I'll pass to October Darren sorry. Would have loved to have come but I really cant afford a chalet for a week unless they are going to let me have it for the price of a pitch for the days and thats not likely.

Sorry hon...really appreciate all the work you do but October is a non starter for me.

I'll go solo to a campsite in summer I guess.

Archived