Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SSP 2011

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Not sure if I like the idea of the rally field and generators - if I remember that field has quite a slope too.

Hmm - will the main part of the site be manned with non Astro types?

I would like to come but am a bit concerned....

Regards

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to come again but have concerns. I definitely wouldn't risk any of my astro imaging gear being fed by a generator, even the best ones don't give a smooth output and the risk of killing something just isn't worth it.

I'll have a think about booking direct with the campsite and put up with the lights :icon_eek:

Just one question Darren. Will the campsite be lit as normal now we are on the rally field? Just wondering how much light there be, even with us hidden behind a hedge. Their main building threw up a lot of light when they forgot to turn off the lights.

Hi

just a note on power supplies, I recently blew my GPS unit, Meade dsi 2 and 2 USB to serial cables because I was silly enough to use a USB hub without surge protection. I’m note sure how reliable generator power is but after recent ( and very expensive) experiences I wouldn’t trust it.

Cheers Jon

Sixpenny is a great site for it, is there any reason why you cant just use the same field as last years one?

My thoughts too. Be shame to move to a different venue, really liked it. Are they not keen to have us on the main field?

Wow!

How much do they normally charge then???

And how much did you charge??

Church Farm campsite obviously haven't decided on their prices for high season in 2011 yet.

Prices - Church Farm Campsite Price List

One adult on a serviced pitch at low season appears to be £9. I should imagine that would at least double in high season.

I was in a static caravan last year and consequently, didn't pay for a pitch, so I can't answer the second question either, I'm afraid.

Only problem is that last year we lost them so much money as they had to turn alot of business away to make way for the Starparty. This year we only have the option of the rally field

I would have thought it would be the same for all campsites in the peak season. Could be difficult finding an alternative.

The rally field is not a problem for me as i don't require any power. Just as long as it's not too rutted.

Hello from a forum noob. I have only ever heard of Starparty's so i am eager to attend my first one this year.

On the subject of generators i think providing you have enough 'headroom' for your equipment you should be fine, so a generator rated at double the electrical power that your equipment consumes will protect you from surges caused by electrical loading on the supply, there are also additional surge/spike protection devices you can hire along with the generator and household one's which are good and should be used as a rule of thumb. I'm guessing most people's mounts are powered by 12v dc? therefore a decent regulated supply unit should also protect you from mains fluctuations. failing that a car battery(with regulator) or power pack charged by day from the genny and used by night. (although not so practical)

A laptop will run fine from a generator also as it has a regulated power supply adapter. These adapters are designed to maintain a stable DC output so they are very good at compensating for fluctuations at the mains supply.

Small digital/inverter generators are a different ball game i think as they use a 'modified sine wave output' similar to that of a 12vdc - 230vac inverter that you plug into your car. You should check that your equipment will accept a modified sine wave supply before using these little suit case gennys.

Would recommend a nice big generator purely for the astro equipment and separate generator for the kettle.

Cheers

Dave

Archived