Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 SynTrek Problem

I've just received my HEQ5 mount from FLO. I've managed to get it all set up, I think. Scope is balanced as per the instructions and seems to move well with the lock levers open. I've now closed the lock levers and tried to power it up to move the scope with the motors and I've hit a snag.

When I power it on I can move the RA axis fine using the left/right buttons on the controller, then I can move the Dec axis with the up/down buttons. Then if I go back to moving the RA after I've moved the Dec it moves a couple of degrees then makes a clunking noise and won't move again until the power is reset, Dec axis still moves OK. What could I be doing wrong? or could the handset or mount be faulty?

The clutches are as tight as I can get them. Power is from the 12V rail of an old 450W computer PSU I converted to use as a power source for some of my electronics projects. I've also just tried it with the AA battery pack from my SupaTrak mount and that makes things worse. Does this thing just need more juice?

Wow, that's some going. I'd have though my PSU would cope with it though it's rated to 16A peak on the 12V rail. It is getting on though and there's a reasonable stretch of wire between scope and PSU. Have to get my multimeter out...

Thanks for the help, as always :)

if the voltage is too low, or gets pulled too low when you try to drive the motors the power LED will flash on the mount body (or it does on the NEQ6).

16A on the 12Vrail should easily cope with the power demand of the mount, if it is delivering 12v at the mount

Archived