EQ6 Pro Alt Adjustment

With both the Alt adjustment bolts removed, how tight should the mount be. Can it be moved by rocking back and forth. If it can wouldn't it relieve the pressure on the bolts during adjustment.

Tony

It should be stiff but not immovable, with no scope on it it will probably be very stiff, once loaded it should move easily enough.

I have an HEQ5 which even with Astro Development bolts makes me nervous in case the mount block has threads stripped as the mount block is relatively low quality casting from pot metal so I usually polar align with no weights or scope on the mount, release all the pressure on the mount by unscrewing the locking bolt (the one at the front of mount opposite the polar scope) adjust using the rear one.

Then I load the mount with scope and weights and carry out any find adjustments that are needed and then lock it off. Its a pain but I;d rather spend an extra 5 minutes setting up than a world of pain from a stripped mount block.

By the way the mount can show small movement even with the locking bolt on. This, along with the mounts tension can be adjusted using this procedure

HEQ5 - Altitude Adjustment

Archived