sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Laser Cut Bahtinov Mask

Peter Reader

Hi all!

After being told by many that a Bahtinov mask is a great way of achieving perfect focus for DSLR DSO imaging, I decided to save myself some money and make my own.

I designed the Bahtinov Mask on some 2D design software and then used our school's laser cutter. I used reasonably thick (3-4mm) black plastic.

I haven't been able to test it yet as weather in Devon so cloudy. I'll let you know if it works.

Are there any particular specifications for the mask depending on which telescope it is used on? I presume there must be some as there are online Bahtinov Mask creator web pages.

I just copied the one produced for my Skywatcher 200P by eye...

Here are some pictures:

IMG20110107_001.jpg

IMG20110107_002.jpg

IMG20110107_004.jpg

IMG20110107_006.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome!

Pete

Edited by Peter Reader

Ok thanks guys. I'm still interested in knowing exactly what these generators do with the measurements I feed into them though. This is probably incredibly arrogant but: I think ALL of the ones I have seen on various scopes seem to look pretty much the same...

Apologies for ignorance

Pete

Ok thanks guys. I'm still interested in knowing exactly what these generators do with the measurements I feed into them though. This is probably incredibly arrogant but: I think ALL of the ones I have seen on various scopes seem to look pretty much the same...

Apologies for ignorance

Pete

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I can tell you that a mask that Psychobilly got cut for me for an 8" f4 newt works just as well on an MN190.

You have just reminded me of an idea about asking a guy I know who does the tech kit at the local school to cut me a few masks :)

Cheers

Tim

Bunnygod1: that looks like a very thin piece of material. How thick was it?

Does the thickness of the mask effect the resulting image?

Bizibilder I had no idea other (possibly more precise) designs existed... may have a go at the last one myself!

I hope my mask will work Tim! It was done entirely by eye -no precise angle measurements at all!

I'll let you know.

Thanks