Narrowband

USB extension?

Alan D

Hi Guys

Need a some help :D

I am trying to set up as follows: EQ6 Synscan (on order)which will be sighted about 12 metres from my basement (not permanent) I want to run DSLR focus+350d+GOTO etc via a laptop sighted in the warmth of the Basement (drink coffee and be able to feel fingers :) . So problem here is as I understand it USB Ext Cable`s can only run max 5 metres? So what is the cheapest solution to run USB`s x2 over 12 metres from my Laptop to EQ6.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

You can purchase active usb cales and link them which will give you the desired length.

I personally use a belkin usb hub and then run the single cable back indoors.

I run 30 feet with no probs,the laptop then controls everything..telescope..cameras and motor focussing.

John

Thanks John & Arthur Looks like the active extensions is what i need!

John do you have the hub at the scope end and then one long cable to the laptop or is your cable from the hub made up of two active Ext cables? (wondered if the hub somehow powered the cable)

Cheers

Alan

Yes the hub is at the telescope and then i have linked two standard cables to run indoors the hub is effectivley powering the cables.

Have had no problems at all and am very pleased with the set up.

As Arthur says you can use two active leads if you wish,it is just that i already had the hub from another project.

John

Archived