Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my first attempt at astrophotography

prbaxter

Off to quite a nice start there. It's clear what your looking at. I would suggest restacking the images with deep sky stacker instead of registax. registax is good at doing lunar/planetary, but not so good for deep sky. There is a marked difference between the results.

when you click stack, select recommended settings and take what DSS suggests, let it stack. Then, save the result, but make sure the radio button for embed adjustments only is set. This means that the on screen image you see won't be saved, DSS applies it's own set of adjustments to the result.. Load that into PS and play with levels and curves in the same way.

thanks that seemed to work.

Don't appear to be getting any better results than I got with RegiStax however. I am only stacking 3 photo's (and a dark) so that might be it. I intend to build a huge stack of about 30-50 photos which should show some considerable differences.

Thanks for the help.

speaking of Darks... the guide says to take about 20 or so with the lens cap on at the same exposure as my images and the same temperature...

temperature? of the lens?

I've taken all my shots at 1600 ISO, should I try a lower ISO?

Temperature of the sensor rather than the lens is the key thing here. As for the ISO, I'd suggest seeing how you get on, without knowing the camera, it's hard to tell, but I have used ISO1600 in the past without too much issue...

As for the darks, it might be better to actually drop that one dark from the stack.

speaking of Darks... the guide says to take about 20 or so with the lens cap on at the same exposure as my images and the same temperature...

temperature? of the lens?

I've taken all my shots at 1600 ISO, should I try a lower ISO?

The same ambient temperature as when you took the main images. As temperature changes so does the noise characteristic of the sensor so you need to try to roughly match the temperatures, ideally take the darks straight after you shoot the main sequence.

Obviously the higher the iso the more sensor noise so lower is better but you will capture less stars/details in the image unless you increase the exposure length which will cause the stars to smear. It's a trade off between the two. Shooting a lot more subs will pull out the detail effectively lowering the noise and the increased number of darks will also help keep the noise down

Archived