Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 1st Messiers

crabbiT Scot

Hello,

I just wanted to share my quick spell outside with the scope last night, where I spotted my 1st two messiers :)

Firstly, I pointed up towards the Seven Sisters, Pleiades (M45), and within no time I have them in my eyepiece. All I can say is, WOW!!! I was taken aback at how many stars I could see, of varying brightness, really took my breath away - even my wife was impressed lol

Second up, it had to be M42. Found this a little more tricky to locate, but eventually a greyish smudge appeared in the eyepice. Focused a bit better and I think I was even more gobsmacked than seeing M45. I could almost make out some actual structure (maybe my eyes playing tricks). At this point I actually started dancing in the garden lol, I was so so so happy.

So anyway, my 1st of hopefully many Messiers.

Thanks for reading!

Scott

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one! I can't wait to get some clear skies here again, I've not seen any since Christmas day. My missus will only come outside for a couple of minutes at a time. She's really impressed by Jupiter but she thinks I'm mad out there in the cold.

With a 150P you should be able to see M32 and M110, the two brighter satellites of M31 (drives the Messier count to 5 in one field of view). The two have decent surface brightness, but are compact. Watch out for slightly fuzzy "stars", one on either side of the core of M31.

More dancing to be done!

With a 150P you should be able to see M32 and M110, the two brighter satellites of M31 (drives the Messier count to 5 in one field of view). The two have decent surface brightness, but are compact. Watch out for slightly fuzzy "stars", one on either side of the core of M31.

More dancing to be done!

Aye I noticed that AFTER i put my scope away, sat down and opened Turn Left at Orion and then slapped myself :) They were in my field of view I guess, but I never noticed them!!

Try again this weekend lol

You will get them, weather permitting. Have a go at M81 and M82 in Ursa Major, they are high up in the sky late in the evening, quite easy to spot, even with my 10x50 (doddle in the 15x70). I hope to get my scope out on Sunday to get a few objects in Ursa Major and environs as well (M108, M109). These will require the big gun (C8) with LP-filter from the suburbs.

M57 in Lyra (Once located use high power) will be ok in your scope, M13 Globular Cluster in Hercules and The Double Cluster in Perseus is a truly Jaw dropping sight (Wide Field EP), I just love looking at Clusters, Truly humbling :)

Ray

M57 in Lyra (Once located use high power) will be ok in your scope, M13 Globular Cluster in Hercules and The Double Cluster in Perseus is a truly Jaw dropping sight (Wide Field EP), I just love looking at Clusters, Truly humbling :)

Ray

Good advice, but the first two are more summer objects. The double cluster is still very visible at the moment. Auriga and Gemini are great cluster-hunting grounds (M35-M38 are in that area)

I too did the little dance last night - managed to see M45 and M42. Its amazing the sense of accomplishment you feel when you actually get a clear enough sky (well 1 hour of it anyway) to see these wonders.

I'm just starting on the voyage of using a webcam (900nc) and imaging software now - is it worth trying on DSO's like M45/M42 or should I leave it to planetary/lunar imaging?

I too did the little dance last night - managed to see M45 and M42. Its amazing the sense of accomplishment you feel when you actually get a clear enough sky (well 1 hour of it anyway) to see these wonders.

I'm just starting on the voyage of using a webcam (900nc) and imaging software now - is it worth trying on DSO's like M45/M42 or should I leave it to planetary/lunar imaging?

I have the SPC-900 and only use it for planets. For deep sky you might be able to use a long-exposure mod, but a DSLR would probably be better.

I just hope the neighbours weren't looking at the daft dance lol.

Really was an amazing feeling though, I'll need to check Turn Left at Orion for my next victim :evil6: I'm hooked big time!

Hi Scott, a couple more worthy Messiers for your attention,

M81 & M82 are in Ursa Major, try using a low power widefield ep to grab them both in the same fov. Quite spectacular to see them togather, this one should have you dancing in the streets! :)

Alan

Well done I'm very jealous and starting to get itchy feet now.. Must resist and not jump straight in and buy the first scope I see. :)

No hurry, they will be there for the foreseeable future;)

If you have decent binoculars, you are already in business. Anyway: M45 (the Pleiades) does not even require that!

I find with m45 its almost more rewarding with the naked eye. Particularly in my bright london garden floodlit by other peoples lights paranoia lights, viewing through a gap between some flats and some trees :)

Persevering and just 'making' it appear to the eye is just great. Starting with a "is it there" blur. Teasing out some promise and eventually by viewing off center you can really start to recognize it. It was after my first naked eye pleiades sighting that I learnt up on what best to do to train the eye.

Its definitely worth hanging around on these objects, rather than ticking them off and moving on. I haven't been at it particularly long but so far its all about M42 for me. Nothing teaches you more about viewing conditions and how to get the best out of your equipment than going back to the same object over and over.

Archived