Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time I've ever looked at stars through some binos

Claire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be good if they are :) I'm not sure how 'technical' they are though. I mean , I understand when they say how many light years across say the andromeda galaxy is, for him, he hasn't a clue, he just really wants to look at the stars and the planets and the moon if you get me :D

It'd be good if they are :) I'm not sure how 'technical' they are though. I mean , I understand when they say how many light years across say the andromeda galaxy is, for him, he hasn't a clue, he just really wants to look at the stars and the planets and the moon if you get me :D

Yeah but it would also be good to expose him to the whole idea of astronomy. Kids brains are little sponges. You'd be amazed at just how much he would take in and remember. Even if it is only stuff like how big things are and he doesnt really understand that yet. He will very soon. Not to mention the fact that he will get to see some great scopes in the group meetings etc.

My niece is 7 yrs old and when she is staying with me and i am observing i use her to pass me different EP's from my case. She just looks at the number on them and gives them to me. I like to think of her as my gopher,LOL.

Dont apologise for being excited, its infectious :)

Something to look for is a feature called Kembles Cascade, it will be near Cassiopea and worth turning binoculars on, it looks like a waterfall of stars in binos.

Really glad your enjoying the hobby :D

yep ! I have it for the pc but i let my 6yr old loose on it to have a look at the constellations and he's messed with the settings so it looks very strange! will have to have a sit down and sort it!

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a pair of 7x50 Helios binosculars and the centre page charts in the Sky at night magazine. I spent 3 months out in the garden laying flat on my back with a red light (doesn't much afect your eyes).You'll soon learn the constellations and the way that they move around.Give your eyes 20 minutes to get dark adapted and be very patient.You don't need big magnifications to see most deep sky objects.

Hey, don't go spending out , we only get about a few days a month with clear skies.

You'll find downloading

Stellarium will give you a free interactive planetarium.

• 3 weeks later...

Moore Park Observatory! I went there once with my mum when I was about 8 to see Halleys comet! (I was a bit space obsessed as a nipper)

Much like yourself Im now just getting into astronomy with Binoculars.. Just waiting for them to arrive and for the clouds to clear!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived