Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Overlooked a big problem probably

Getting all excited about getting astro photos and am getting gear ordered and to the specs i think i need. Just been outside to look if any clear skies....and it was not bad ...except for 1 small overlooked problem , i live 40 miles from the Manchester Airport and 40 miles from Birmingham and am directly under their flightpaths...obviously this did not come as a shock really more of an overlooked problem . It will however hinder me with shutter timer images ...or will it ???

As Billy said, there are clever statistical methods in our stacking software (most of it is free!) to avoid junking the entire frame if one has a plane trail on it. The software looks at the various recorded brightness values for one pixel and if it is much brighter than the rest (because plane lights are on it) then it just discards that pixel value only, keeping the rest of the data in play.

As Billy said, there are clever statistical methods in our stacking software (most of it is free!) to avoid junking the entire frame if one has a plane trail on it. The software looks at the various recorded brightness values for one pixel and if it is much brighter than the rest (because plane lights are on it) then it just discards that pixel value only, keeping the rest of the data in play.

Oooh now thats interesting, I didnt know that was available. What software is it on and what is the setting? I have just been discarding frames with plane trails in but this sounds wonderful!

Short exposures of planes crossing the moon or as pointers to constellations would also be interesting, perhaps even challenging? Be creative.

Yeah, I like the effect it can create. Still it's of no use to you for DSO's.

I'm close to an airport too and I'm determined to get a shot of a plane crossing the moon one of these days.

I frequently have planes removed from my images by the statistical algorithms in deep sky stacker, I live very close to gatwick.

And of course, as has been said, use them... get the plane in front of... or underlining etc...

Archived