Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope advice

Hi there,

New to SGL but been lurking for a while and into astronomy for over 20 years since I was a boy. Anyway, I have previously had a pair of binos which I had for years and also bought a cheap scope in Aldi a few years ago but these have really taken me as far as they can at this stage and I am ready to move on to something bigger and better so I'm looking for a bit of a steer in the right direction!!

I live in the south of Ireland and have only okay-ish skies from my house, but I am about 10-15 mins drive from a good coastal location which offer dark unobstructed views of the sky to the south over the Atlantic. My primary interest is in lunar and planetary observation and imaging and I want a setup able to produce pretty decent lunar/planetary images. I wouldn't rule out DSO stuff but it really is a secondary consideration.

So basically I am looking for recommendations from the good folks here at SGL for a good planetary scope (visual and imaging) and mount that is reasonably portable (I'm not afraid of having to spend some time setting up etc.). I have a few €€€€ coming my way soon so my budget for the scope and mount would be in the £1000-£1200 region or maybe a bit more depending on the setup. I have a seperate budget for accessories etc.

Thanks in advance,

namloc

Archived