SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PixInsight and Masks

I'm bored at work and whilst working on some quite tedious tax returns I got to thinking about using Masks in PixInsight.

I've been playing about with Pix and learning the ropes by following Harrys great video tutorials but it seems that you can only apply one mask at a time. I'm not sure that it would ever be necessary but is there a way to say apply a Star Mask and Luminance Mask at the same time?

Just really thinking out loud by posting this.......but it is more interesting than what I'm currently doing at work.:eek:

Hi

Don't worry simple use is not that hard

make sure your two images are open

1) Open tool

2) rgb/k box select edit

3) In middle box you will see a box for selecting images select your first image

4) then in top box type in the plus sign +

5) go to middle box and select your second image

6) click on OK and this will close the edit box

7) extend the destination panel and select new image

8) apply using the square Icon

You will now have a nice new image :eek:

Regards Harry

Hi

Don't worry simple use is not that hard

make sure your two images are open

1) Open tool

2) rgb/k box select edit

3) In middle box you will see a box for selecting images select your first image

4) then in top box type in the plus sign +

5) go to middle box and select your second image

6) click on OK and this will close the edit box

7) extend the destination panel and select new image

8) apply using the square Icon

You will now have a nice new image :eek:

Regards Harry

Brilliant, I've got it but I can't promise I wont be back with more questions.:)

Many thanks Harry:icon_salut:

I've played with the demo version for a while and now have the Commercial version and have to say that I don't think there is anything that I could do in PS that I can't do in Pix......which seems to actually do it better. DBE, background neutralisation, colour correction, luminance masks and HDR Wavlets are the area's that are impressing me at the moment and I am only scratching the surface.

I'm a big fan of PS and have used it for years but for now Pix will be my main (only) astro processing software..........saying that I can take the principles of MartinB's "How to stretch the Histogram using levels and curves" tutorial with me as it works in Pix also.

If you can't get what you want out of the star mask generator (and I bet Harry will pop up to say you can!), you could export the mask and fill the unwanted stars with black in PS.

David

Hi

Well this can be a tough one :) you can up the threshold and increase the scale , but I fully admit I have cloned out stars I do not need .

It can also be done with atrous wavlets , but I will need a month to try and explain that ( ok I dont know it well :D )

Harry

Hi

Well this can be a tough one :) you can up the threshold and increase the scale , but I fully admit I have cloned out stars I do not need .

It can also be done with atrous wavlets , but I will need a month to try and explain that ( ok I dont know it well :D )

Harry

I've had a look at the M45 tutorial and atrouswavlets are covered a little in that......need to try it a few more times because it went straight over my head the first time.

I'm just struggling with blowing the big stars when trying to get some of the lighter nebulosity showing.....any way to stop this happening apart from star masks?

Archived