SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargaizing live 2

Keithp

I think maybe Wossy was invited to take part to play the role of the stooge. Probably to get across to people who are hesitant to get into astronomy, because they feel it's much too technical.

Seeing Wossy acting the complete numpty, but not being chastised or mocked was a good ploy. I mean who would call the naked eye light patch that is M31, Pluto, Mars, or Venus.

Come on, he aint that thick.:)

Even his ignorance about using his Goto was planned I reckon.

Probably did a lot of good that bit of Psychology :eek:.

Ron.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Ron, Ross was there to make newcomers feel like they wern't the only ones who found the hobby confusing. The other 3 main presenters (who were excellent) consisted of a particle physicist, a physics graduate and an experience amateur astronomer which might juts re-enforce some viewers perception that astronomy is difficult to get into.

Something I noticed today while on lunch at work was that the planishpere was the top selling "book" on amazon today. That must be down to this show alone. Also Wonders of the Solar System was the second highest bluray disk.

It's got loads of people interested where I work.

Quote a few people know I am into astronomy and have been asking loads of questions so told them as much as I know and directed them here or anything I couldn't answer.

I'm sure pretty much everyone seen the programme tonight so you probably seen the weathergirl tell everyone other than the south it would be clear. Well went out, set up my gear hoping for a decent night's viewing then ten minutes later.....the cloud's rolled in. Give her the benefit and left in twenty minutes...still cloud, left it another half hour and there was nothing but cloud everywhere, packed up and come in :)

Yay got my M31 image on as the closing shot, that was a nice surprise made my day :D

Well done again to all who contributed and got their images published.

The show has certainly given astronomy a shot in the arm as the number of people joining on here has leapt up.

Regards

Kevin

Well done Kevin,richly deserved recognition for your superb images.:)

On balance, after a shaky start I think it was very worthwhile in the end. Quite a bit on astronomy and perhaps a little short on "stargazing" but all in all very worth watching. I do hope it tweaked the interests of many people to look up at the sky at night.

Ha d 5 shots on the show, and one of the credited to me too ...lol

(did a shed load of work behind the scenes with FT on the whole thing... and "Dara's" M82... like hell it was his...but hey ho... lol

Archived