Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargaizing live 2

Keithp

i think the trouble is that there is too much information in this hobby to cram into a few minutes of tv time, i took me almost 3 months just to choose the right scope for my budget and what i wanted to use it for !

i enjoyed the programme but i might be better to focus on one or two subjects at most per show instead of trying too cram it all in.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said, I liked the show, being still a relative newbie I thought it was well balanced and designed to appeal to all. Thumbs up from me :):D:D

Some nice kit you got there for a newbie Andy :eek: Try talking to the pub landlord they might be sympathetic.

Last nights show was reviewed on Five Live and the overall impression (apart from it clashing with the darts) was positive. Fellow presenters who have no interest in the night sky enjoyed it listeners with zero or limited experience also like it. The only negative was Liz Bonnin's input from Hawaii, which they felt was a waste of time. The reviewers also said they were glad that there was not much stargazing through scopes as it makes really boring TV.

After watching the 1st & 2nd episode I enjoyed it, I could stomach Dara but Ross got on my nerves abit. Liked the photography tips & pics what some people sent in + the girl :eek:

The program is well received going by the comments on Twitter.

We should promote SGL as a logical next step for those who want to take up astronomy.

What the mods for SGL could do is contact the BBC directly and ask for the "related links" section to include the forum, I've done it in unrelated stuff with the beeb.

Second programme was much better then the first I felt. Liked the part about the sounds of stars that was cool. Johnathan Ross please go and read a book and make some effort for goodness sake! Poor Mark must have been pulling his hair out trying to teach him the basics. Loved that image of the eclipse with the birds flying over from Norfolk and now feel inspired to get a solar filter and have a crack at the sun myself..:eek:

i must say im rather disapointed with the program, as a beginning astronomer, not much stargazing took place, considering the program was called stargazing live, two mins at JR and about the same looking a jupiter, nothing telling you about various types of telescopes that are available for begineers ect.

cant see the point in the hawaian bit, i would have thought they would have been better setting it up somewhere in europe, at least it would have been dark and could have got some stargazing done, instead of looking at lava and the sun:eek:

like everything else there trying to fit to much in, not actually explaining anything properly, i personally dont think its helped people get into stargazing as what did they actually show you???, other than images taken from the hubble ect, almost nothing through a normal telescope showing images what you would expect to see through the avarage telescope that everyone can afford.

most dissapointing, but i surpose its better than watching the soaps.

If I was to give marks out of 10, mine would be 7.5. 'Wossy', I suppose, used his 'arrogant ignoramus' approach to appeal to the complete idiot type, I suppose and as others have pointed out, was a tad too irritating - Having a mid-range Celestron 'scope approaching a grand in price and NOT use it is a blumming sin in my opinion. Then again if your a millionaire...But I digress.

I enjoyed the show and in the next few days I can see them membership of this forum growing.

Just watched the first two back to back. Very good.

Ross may not appeal to all , but his is popular. I thought his bit was quite good for beginners.

It's unlikely that the BBC will promote SGL as they have their own astronomy forum, having said that, over 1000 members online here yesterday and 50+ new members, so we're doing something right!

i must say im rather disapointed with the program, as a beginning astronomer, not much stargazing took place, considering the program was called stargazing live

I think the name of the program is slightly misleading. It's not so much about getting people interested in taking up astronomy and using a scope but more about just making people aware of the universe around them.

And the solar bit on Hawaii was slightly disappointing. The view through the PST would have blown her socks off but she didn't even take a look. Just looking at the white light scopes.

We all shouted "it's behind you!!!" when that big meteor fell behind Mark. :eek:

I really enjoyed it too. I felt ross didnt have/show any respect. he could of at least tried to show a bit more genuine interest.

Hawai....would of liked to of seen the views from the telescopes showing the skies to allow people to see the amazing things up there in the heavens and not how sunny it is there in hawai.

Brian and Dara work well together i think.

Thumbs up from me

i thought it was good but dara got on my nerves like i expected, i think it was targeted at complete morons like dara and jonathon ross, a bit too basic. But it did give some useful info especially that photography bit which i will be doing :)

I hope, as amateur astronomers, Dara and JR aren't members of this forum to read that. I always like to think it's welcoming to everyone in the astro community however knowledgeable or not. If it's true Dara must be the first moron I've come across with a physics degree.

Anyway I'd just like to say to anyone who has been encouraged to join the forum by watching the show... you're welcome here even if your knowledge is very limited and your sense of humour a bit skewed... we won't be calling you a moron. :eek:

As a beginner to astronomy I found it to be extremely interesting. I don't really like J.Ross much anyway and found him to be quite childish. However for those of us setting out that particular VT was informative and very welcome. It would also of been nice if Dara hadn't interrupted Proffesor Cox quite as much, quite often at key moments. Still enjoyed it though, looking forward to tonight. :eek:

Quite good so far - bit light but if it brings in a few more people then it can't be bad. Wossy is annoying but how many people out there have a scope & have no idea about how to use it.... lots is my guess so it encourages them then that must be good.

Claire

second program alot more polished than the first, i enjoyed it as did the wife who was moaning at the start that she would have to sit through it for a hour.

would be nice to have some clear skies tonight so the poor chap stood it the field all night can do something and keep himself warm

I liked the idea of those basic wooden sun disk viewers, it'll be good if they could offer a discount of these to schools or a kit form to encourage more engagement, didn't they offer kits of telesdcopes in the IYA2009...

Archived