Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargaizing live 2

Keithp

Many thanks Ladies and Gents, I thought my initial post was evident however. I'm dissappointed.

I bow to your opinions.

Mods. Feel free to delete my account.

I've finished here.

Regards

All KP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously it's not aimed at seasoned astronomers, so I thought it was quite good as it may get some people interested. There's always going to be alot of VT as you can't film 'live' stargazing for a length of time- or if you did it would be incredibly boring.

That was quite enjoyable. I like Dara anyway, funny without being stupid. I thought it was a good balance, although a bit more time with the telescope outside would have been nice. But Live astro at the scope would make for very boring prime time TV.

Hawaii was okay and hopefully we'll get a glimpse of a night sky view.

The simple astro imaging bit was helpful except the 4 easy steps were missing the rather critical step 5.....focus!!!!

Quite a few names from the forum in the viewers images :eek:

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Obviously it's not aimed at seasoned astronomers, so I thought it was quite good and may get some people interested. There's always going to be alot of VT as you can't film 'live' stargazing for a length of time- or if you did it would incredibly boring.

I suppose you are right. I mean the stars dont do much. Would be boring tv if all we saw on the screen for an hour was stars,nebs etc doing pretty much nothing.

I suppose you are right. I mean the stars dont do much. Would be boring tv if all we saw on the screen for an hour was stars,nebs etc doing pretty much nothing.

It would be different if live video footage was better. The view of Jupiter they showed on the screen was clearly not nearly as good as they were actually seeing. They were describing the bands etc when it just looked like a small bright ball on tv. Perhaps if they put a webcam up to the eyepiece of a 24" dob if may come across better and be more interesting for the casual viewer to look at.

It would be different if live video footage was better. The view of Jupiter they showed on the screen was clearly not nearly as good as they were actually seeing. They were describing the bands etc when it just looked like a small bright ball on tv. Perhaps if they put a webcam up to the eyepiece of a 24" dob if may come across better and be more interesting for the casual viewer to look at.

True. I've had better views of Jupiter with my 7Mp digicam.

The Jupiter burn out was trying to get the moons as well. They have had some technical issues they are aware of, but as a more seasoned member here, looking at WHAT it aimed to achieve, it's off to a pleasing start. Dara and Brian possibly need to work on the chemistry a bit more, but Mark's slots were good, and Brian's infectious enthusiasm is laudable

I've never been a fan of Wossy, and unfortunately, I had difficulty in understanding what Dara saying half the time.

However, with Brian Cox fronting the series, it will be fine.

There are a lot of beginners here on SGL, but, there are a great many more out there waiting for a little shove to do something about it.

That programme may well provide the catalyst, simply because what is all too often perceived by a wannabe, is, it is too complicated.

Hopefully, many who watched it may now realise, it doesn't have to be.

Let's hope so, and most of them sign up here :eek:.

Ron.

Disappointing to see the celebs referred to as "morons"...

Dara is well known to have a physics degree and was on it to get more people to watch. Wossy isn't an idiot. He's a hobbyist. He has three scopes but is impatient and wants to see pretty-shiny-posh-stuff-NOW! Just like a lot of people who get into the hobby.. He's there to represent Joe Public.

I think they could've left out the "2012" jokes and "Doctor Who" references. I got them, others might not and find it confusing or even offensive. (Didn't think they needed to call horoscopes nonsence and gibberish either, didn't achieve anything. Pointing out everything's in the same place every year at that time was sufficient to let people draw their own conclusions, surely.)

I enjoyed it. There were a few interesting points. Thought they might've made more of the eclipse and how to view it/what was happening etc

Will watch all three, see how it goes

Disappointing to see the celebs referred to as "morons"...

Dara is well known to have a physics degree and was on it to get more people to watch. Wossy isn't an idiot. He's a hobbyist. He has three scopes but is impatient and wants to see pretty-shiny-posh-stuff-NOW! Just like a lot of people who get into the hobby.. He's there to represent Joe Public.

I think they could've left out the "2012" jokes and "Doctor Who" references. I got them, others might not and find it confusing or even offensive. (Didn't think they needed to call horoscopes nonsence and gibberish either, didn't achieve anything. Pointing out everything's in the same place every year at that time was sufficient to let people draw their own conclusions, surely.)

I enjoyed it. There were a few interesting points. Thought they might've made more of the eclipse and how to view it/what was happening etc

Will watch all three, see how it goes

thats what i think of most celebs because most celebrities are just famous for being famous, few understand things which i class as things which should be understood, including basics of the universe i.e number and names of the planets in our solar system etc. I dont mean anything insulting by it though just a generalisation which im sure a lot of people would agree with :eek: personally i think the 2012 bit was good, im getting a bit annoyed with so many people actually believing the world is going to end, but the bit about horiscopes etc was a bit pointless.

i think it was targeted at complete morons like dara and jonathon ross, a bit too basic.

I know you didn't mean to call people with little knowledge of this hobby morons but it comes across like that.

Everyone has to start with no knowledge and SGL opens it's arms to newbies.

I know this because it did to me :eek:

Just want to say in case any new members misunderstand that :)

Ok everyone, as Helen says, play nice.

This thread is beginning to attract far too much unwanted attention as it is. Any more and it'll be locked.

Keith - sorry you feel that way. It's a little hard to understand where you're coming from by your brief posts, or what has upset you so much. Leave it for now, sleep on it and it'll be clearer in the morning. Don't make any hasty decisions in the heat of the moment and try to stay away from this thread FTB.

talk about hijacted.

Admins...please delete my account.

I feel sorry for this country.

Good night all...

Keith, why are you getting so upset mate.

I can't see anything that has been said that could have upset you so much. You have to realise, that everone is entitled to their opinion, and as long as nobody has insulted you personally, you should not react so badly.

There is no need to leave SGL over this.

Please think it over.

Ron.

What a wasted opportunity...can we lose the Irish man and Johnathan Ross

The Irish man has a degree in Maths and Theoretical Physics.

He's there for both his knowledge and his lighthearted banter,to make what can be a very difficult subject to understand, a bit easier for the general public with little or no knowledge of astronomy.

The whole point of the programme is to bring basic astronomy to the masses and i think it will succeed in doing so.

Great to see some astronomy on the box trying to stimulate more interest in the subject, but I was a little disappointed. I presume it was targetted at the complete novice, in which case I think it could have been improved by starting with a brief explanation of "what's up there", with some attempt to explain the scale of the solar system versus the galaxy/universe, to set the scene. I suspect there may be loads of potentially interested people who are still unfamiliar with these basics and rather confused.

Including "celebs" was a good idea to hopefully show that astronomy is not as geeky as some may think. Dara O'Briain was a good choice - his enthusiasm is very evident. J.Ross less so I thought - overdid the comedy a little.

I thought it was OK. I liked that it didn't give any misconceptions to what you will see at the eye piece. The image of Jupiter that was shown during the JR dob bit was as it would be. I don't think they did the refractor at the start any justice as the images were obviously through a web cam in the guide scope on top and not the larger frac they were looking through. Joe public wouldn't have realized this and thought the view of Jupiter was terrible for such a big telescope.

It may not be to the amature astronomers taste but I think it was more aimed towards people who have gazed up at the stars, have an interest but haven't wanted to go in to the expense of getting a scope. Make something come across as exciting and people might become interested enough to buy a scope and get in to the hobby. If putting a "big celeb" in to the mix helps then great, after all not everyone knows who Brian Cox is. I think any thing that gets people interested is a great idea as it means people may consider buying scopes and joining the hobby. This in turn may lead more to people becoming aware of light pollution and it's effects. The more people we have aware of this problem the better. Is there not a petition going on some where against light pollution in the attempt to make better street lighting ????

I think the only let down was it wasn't on BBC 1 as to me this comes across as the more prime time of the two channels.

Archived