Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Took the plunge - 130P Ordered

Hello All,

Purchased binoculars...the bug bit so I took the plunge and bought a Skywatcher 130P today with a light pollution filter from FLO.

Can't wait till it arrives to get it set up and then wait for the skys to be clear!!

I think I might pop along to the local society as well, is there anyone else from Wiltshire who attends on here? I have had a look online as the wasnet website but wasn't to sure on where/when the next meeting is where newbies can pop along.

Cheers,

Tom!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you should see a fair bit with that scope my scope is very slightly smaller and I find plenty to keep me interested. The delivery from flo is often very quick, but like all astro dealers they pack the boxes full of clouds to protect the scopes in transit, I hope you don't have to wait too long for first light. I will look forward to hearing how you get on with it

I'm expecting my Skywatcher 130p tomorrow ( well it's my wifes birthday present!) I'll probably spend six hours setting it up, it will be cloudy, the wife will get [removed word] of with me fiddling with it ( the scope ) and i'll go to the pub. I'll get home and she'll say " I just took a brilliant astroimage of the Great Nebula in Orion" and at this stage i'll take up stamp collecting!

Hi Tom and congratulations on your purchase - lets hope you ordered some clear sky as well.:)

Wiltshire Soc. I believe are assisting with a big event in Lacock with activities/presentations during the day in the great barn and (weather permitting) observing session with a variety of scopes on the same evening in and around the back of the Red Lion pub.

Apologies to the society if I have any of those details not quite right but there certainly an event happening at Lacock.

James

Cheers guys! It arrived today and got it all set up really quickly and have just finished balancing it. Unfortunately the clear skies are no where to been seen around here.

Thanks for the info James, I'll have a look around to see if I can find any more info. Lacock is just around the corner from me so would be nice meet a few locals and find some nice spots to take the scope.

Really impressed with the build quality of it, hoping the skies will clear soon so I can try it.

I've been back and forth between expensive scopes and cheap scopes. I decided to go for the 130p as well. (I could get a 200 dob but I decided I wanted to travel with it, as the light pollution here is terrible).

I'm now just waiting for reply from FLO about shipping cost to Norway. For this: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO

This was when I had set a high budget and was really being overzealous for my first telescope :)

they told me £171. If the 130p is anywhere close to this, I'll have to get it from teleskop-express.de which has more or less the same price and only €25 for shipping to Norway with UPS.

So hopefully I'll be out stargazing in the near future.

I've been back and forth between expensive scopes and cheap scopes. I decided to go for the 130p as well. (I could get a 200 dob but I decided I wanted to travel with it, as the light pollution here is terrible).

I'm now just waiting for reply from FLO about shipping cost to Norway. For this: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO

This was when I had set a high budget and was really being overzealous for my first telescope :)

they told me £171. If the 130p is anywhere close to this, I'll have to get it from teleskop-express.de which has more or less the same price and only €25 for shipping to Norway with UPS.

So hopefully I'll be out stargazing in the near future.

You have some amazing skies in Norway, I just love Norway in general!! Let me know if you get the 130P, will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

We had clear skies for about an hour today, and I managed to spot Jupiter just to the left of the very narrow moon :D It was nice to actually KNOW it was Jupiter, and not guess it :)

Edit:

Any MUST HAVE stuff for the 130p? I figure some nice new eyepieces and maybe some other cool stuff, since it doesn't really cost much at all

We had clear skies for about an hour today, and I managed to spot Jupiter just to the left of the very narrow moon :D It was nice to actually KNOW it was Jupiter, and not guess it :)

Edit:

Any MUST HAVE stuff for the 130p? I figure some nice new eyepieces and maybe some other cool stuff, since it doesn't really cost much at all

Did your scope come that quickly?

I pointed my scope out of my flat window tonight to just see if the scope was working correctly and I was thorougly impressed. Within about 10 seconds I had it focused and was looking at some stars. I can't really name them yet as I don't have a star map and stellarium didn't really help, but I felt like a giddy child again!

I am really looking forward to some proper clear skies and to find a local dark site to go to.

Saw jupiter with my eyes ^^

Ahh thought they weren't going to be that quick.

I just had it up and running again and luck would have it the moon was just in the perfect view from my window. I used the 25mm, 10mm and then both with the barlow.

I was amazed at the views I got of the moon, reallly detailed craters which I didnt expect to see that close up. I showed my girlfriend and she had an "OMG" moment when she saw the moon like that.

I saw a nice bright star to the left of the moon, and then I got it in focus only then did I realise it was Jupiter and I could clearly make out 4 moons around it.

I really didn't expect to be seeing all of that tonight.

Hi causerino does your scope use an eq2 mount ? I only ask as I have that mount and no matter what I do I cannot get it to stay up tightened the bolts as much as I dare but still no joy may have to get a smaller counterweight or try something else.

Hi causerino does your scope use an eq2 mount ? I only ask as I have that mount and no matter what I do I cannot get it to stay up tightened the bolts as much as I dare but still no joy may have to get a smaller counterweight or try something else.

Yeah it stays up fine after I balanced it using the manual, did you try that and it still does it?

Hi Bish, No I haven't but I'll be sure too check it out when I next have some free time. Are you from around Bath area then?

Cheers guys! It arrived today and got it all set up really quickly and have just finished balancing it. Unfortunately the clear skies are no where to been seen around here.

Thanks for the info James, I'll have a look around to see if I can find any more info. Lacock is just around the corner from me so would be nice meet a few locals and find some nice spots to take the scope.

Really impressed with the build quality of it, hoping the skies will clear soon so I can try it.

I'm pretty close to you in West Wilts, also bought a scope before Christmas (although used to own one similar to yours years ago), and have been learning the Ways of the Sky. I've been to a couple of meetings run by the SPOG Astro guys, they meet at Tilshead (amazing dark site on Sals plain) and at Bratton. They're a friendly bunch and I'm sure you would be welcome to come along.

Starry Night - I think you are trying to "make the scope stay up" with the RA and DEC locking bolts. That is not how the EQ2 works. You should set the scope with the Latitude T-Bar at the rear of the mount and then do the balancing. You need to set the latitude to your local setting (in Exeter it is 52.72 degrees)

Archived