SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200 First Light

AndyM

Well its been a long time coming but I finally got the chance to try out the new toy tonight, my Skywatcher Explorer 200. :D

First stop was to point straight up at the Milky Way. WOW! :shock: I never realised just how many stars could fit in one eyepiece. I must have spent 30-40 minutes just panning around one small area taking in the views. Completely lost track of where I was simply due to the amount of stars. Next was a short hop to Lyra - I pointed the finder at Vega then looked through the eyepiece - flippin’ eck that’s bright! Another short move gave me a great view of the Ring Nebula, a lovely little doughnut shape showing up very clearly. Now I know it really exists and is not just a made up picture! :) Then the kids and Mrs. M came out and had a quick look - cue more ooohhs and wows and “how much did this cost?”

I was pleasantly surprised how well the scope performed out of the box. Steve had said the collimation should be Ok but would probably need a little tweaking but to me it looks perfect as it is so hopefully given gentle treatment it shouldn’t need too much looking after.

To sum up, I am really pleased with the new toy even if it does take up a fair amount of space in the living room. Going to try and get up early tomorrow for a peek at Saturn - hopefully the sky will still be clear at 6am.

Andy.

“how much did this cost?”

I get that when people turn up and want to see my toys. My total spend is less than what a guy I know pays for membership at his "golf" club. It IS an inexpensive hobby if you relate it to what you get out of it. I can walk round my garden hitting stuff with a stick, that's the same as golf, or I can mess about trying to get an image of something so far away that it's probably not even there any more and wasn't even before I was born. Option 1 bores me, option 2 fascinates me. I'm still shocked and impressed that my amateurish images are better than the textbooks we had at school could manage.

To be able to see things that astronomers of only a couple of generations ago would have sold their grannies for is a nice place to be in.

Its very interesting to turbocharge your eyesight, makes things that bug you seem really really insignificant.

Captain Chaos

It is exciting to look through your new scope for the first time, isn't it? I usually rush it, and don't get the best use out of it until my second session.

People are often surprised to learn that my C6N retails for less than $600 in Canada. They imagine it must have cost thousands. My golf clubs are worth more than both my scopes, and my eyepieces.

Golf is a waste of good farmland, although it does allow white people to dress like pimps for the day. Astronomy at least makes you think a little more than you did before, it's proper mind-expanding stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself an Explorer 200 OTA to stick on my EQ5 when I'm not using the ickle Orion 80mm, I want something much more deep-sky capable now that all the planets have gone away. My ETX-105 is great for most things, but aperture is not it's strong point and I've a hankering to look at some fuzzies.

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself an Explorer 200 OTA to stick on my EQ5 when I'm not using the ickle Orion 80mm, I want something much more deep-sky capable now that all the planets have gone away. My ETX-105 is great for most things, but aperture is not it's strong point and I've a hankering to look at some fuzzies.

Go for it Kenny, I'd definitely reccomend this scope.

Andy.

Archived