Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what's your dream scope for imaging ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have been updating my dream.

a fast newtonian will not survive the bad light pollution i got.

now i dream ( even at daytime ) about a Officina Stellare 152mm f8 triplet apo.

Officina Stellare Workshop of the stars

cost a hell of money, but i think it will be well spend, also a reducer flatner to get f5 can be bought :) , i know what santa has to take with him at the end of 2011 :D

00000660.jpg

i have been updating my dream.

a fast newtonian will not survive the bad light pollution i got.

now i dream ( even at daytime ) about a Officina Stellare 152mm f8 triplet apo.

Officina Stellare Workshop of the stars

cost a hell of money, but i think it will be well spend, also a reducer flatner to get f5 can be bought :) , i know what santa has to take with him at the end of 2011 :D

00000660.jpg

F8? Even F7 is a bit slow with our TEC140... 49 mins goes up to 64 minutes.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
F8? Even F7 is a bit slow with our TEC140... 49 mins goes up to 64 minutes.

Olly

i think its the best solution for a light polluted area :)

on f5 it would be great also.

@smoggy, i also found the 9k price now, earlier websites sayed 14k..... big difference.:)

• 3 years later...

I guess that would depend on the subject and the image scale you need.

(And where you ply your trade.  Not to mention budget and mount).

Short focal length APO under 100 mm to get nice wide fields.  That implies a not too heavy mount, a large(ish) CCD chip with small pixels and a lot of money.  But potentially portable.  A Tak or similar.

An large RC, Schmidt or astrograph, etc. with a f/l <4 with a lot of light gathering power for the deep sky stuff.  Big accurate mount, lots of money and probably not portable.  Intes and upward. (Stop when to get to Officina Stellare or you'll cry).

Rgds

Tony

Yep, seen that on the Altair-Astro site, it's £11,500* as I recal. Not bad compared with the price ATM would charge.

Though TBH I think I'd go for the 160mm f/6.5 with a flattener / reducer.

*Edit, £11, 850 actually.

Going to cheat and say 2:

An APM LZOS 4" or 5".

The other one is odd.

Someone in the US purchased an 80mm APM LZOS scope and received the test pattern results.

A slight mistake as he had no idea what it meant and talked himself into thinking it was poor, so panic ensued. :eek:

When he posted an image of the result people were offering to buy it off him sight unseen and at the full price based on the test results alone of the lens. :grin:

To say it was perfect was an understatement, that had to have been one of the best lens ever produced.

Would love to try that specific one.

Not the TSA for me. That is primarily a visual scope. Both the Tak FSQs would do nicely for me since I only have one of them!! And then something really fast like a Hyperstar but I would want an engineer astronomer on hand (Hi Greg Parker!!) to make sure it performed to the book.

Ooohhh and then... Deitmar Haager's folded 9 inch TMB refractor. And after that an array of three 12 inch Ritchey Chretiens in parallel on a single mount, since f8 is so slow. Three cameras as well, of course. That would perform like a fast sytem but at long fl..

And why? Well, in imaging I want flat field, high resolution, even illumination and fast fast faster focal ratio!

Not difficult, am I?

Olly

got all that but you wouldn't like it Olly  you just plug it in and it just works, no tinkering whatsoever it's all terribly boring.

Dave,

Of the subject but how are you getting on with the MAK 180?

Rick

Hi Rick

TBH I've not used it as much as I'd thought, mainly because I only have one mount and I've been using that for imaging. At the mo I'm debating whether to sell it on, but at some point soon-ish I intend to buy a dedicated pier mounted GEM for imaging, perhaps as far as a Mesu 200. If I do, then I'll put the Mak 180 on the HEQ5 for visual on lunar and planetary while the subs are coming in, or when there's too much moon for imaging. I could, of course, swap over now, but I don't want to upset the balance.

As far as use is concerned, I like it a lot, my only gripe is the mirror shift. While it's not too distracting for observing it would make framing for planetary imaging a bit frustrating. I know, I've tried with my QHY 5 for mono.

Going to cheat and say 2:

An APM LZOS 4" or 5".

The other one is odd.

Someone in the US purchased an 80mm APM LZOS scope and received the test pattern results.

A slight mistake as he had no idea what it meant and talked himself into thinking it was poor, so panic ensued. :eek:

When he posted an image of the result people were offering to buy it off him sight unseen and at the full price based on the test results alone of the lens. :grin:

To say it was perfect was an understatement, that had to have been one of the best lens ever produced.

Would love to try that specific one.

I don't think LZOS did any Lens' for the APM 80mm scopes unless they made the 80/600? I think it's most probably one of the Lomo Super Apo Triplet lens which went into the APM 80/480 scopes. Lomo stopped producing them so they are no longer available. They are also considered by many to be the best 80mm lens ever produced and are quite hard and pretty expensive to get hold of nowdays.

Archived