Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from East Yorkshire

Hi guys finally registered and champing at the bit. I'm about to take up this hobby after 40 years . My father was a keen amateur astronomer and just before he died a couple of years ago bought me an Omega Speedmaster Moon watch ( I'm a watch collector ) and his old telescope but unfortunately was beyond repair.

So I'm wishing to purchase a telescope to use with my digital SLR camera ( I'm I being to ambitious? )

I've been to my local camera shop and he was clueless giving me a an Optical Vision catalogue and now I'm even more confused. My budget is approx £600 can someone please point me in the right direction. Also is there a local club in the Hull area ?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

A very warm welcome to SGL. As for the scope and mount, it all depends on what you intend to image. Take a look at First Light Optics (FLO) pages (click on the logo at the top of the page), they are Skywatcher (amongst others) dealers. Next I would suggest giving Steve or James a ring at FLO and discuss what you want, they will be able to advise and supply.

Best of luck with your new hobby.

Steve..

Thanks Neil

I would like t o look and photograph the moon and also the space station. The space station is orbiting over us at the moment and I don't know how longer longer it will maintain it's current orbit . So a telescope to look at both are my requirements

Photographing the moon is relatively simple, even with a cheap "point and press" never mind a DSLR but I think you might be pushing you luck with the space station. If you do manage it it well done! You may already be aware of this site which gives orbit positions, times etc Heavens-Above Home Page

Cheers

Neil

Welcome to SGL Richard.

Steve at FLO will give plenty of good advice and importantly won't sell you something that isn't eight for you.

The International Space Station passes over the UK regularly and will continue to do so, look at Heavens-Above Home Page (set up a free account) for times and directions...

Taking pictures of the space station through a scope is hard though. I moves pretty quick and although there have been a few people on SGL that have managed to do it it is much harder than it sounds...

Cheers

Ant

edit: must learn to type faster!

Hi Richard

Did you get in touch with the H.E.R.A.S?

I also live in Hull and would like to start gazing. I looked into it a while back but due to jobs and money I've been unable to buy a scope. I'm currently using binoculars which is good to start with. My only problem is some light pollution and some trees.

Let me know how you get on

Shep

Hi Shep , No I havnt yet too busy. I have looked at their website and their forum is very quite unlike this one lol. I'll probably get my scope at the end of this month after speaking to a couple of members first.

Richard

You will have to let me know how you get on and what scope you go for. By the sounds of it you have about the same budget as what i was looking at spending. I liked the look of the celestron Nexstar SE (5" or 6").

Shep

Archived