SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings fron Finland and Happy New Year

Ransu

Hi Astronomy people

I'm Rauno, 44 y male from south-eastern Finland.

Astronomy has been part of my life since 10y old boy, mainly watching sky, first with naked eye, binoculars and telescopes. I get my first telescope abt 11y (50x500 astronomical telescope:D still have it) after that 3" ret reflector, diy 200mm dobson, 250mm diy reflector, 150mm f15 achromatic refractor (with lot of frustrating to polish 4 surface).

Nowadays i have C8, SW 120 equinox ed (new baby, just arrived never seen stars because of cloydy weather) wo zs80ed.

Astrophotography is my biggest inteterest now at astronomy, i get interested to hobby again at this autumn, after taking pics with wo and Celestron CG5 Goto.

Link to my pics: Picasa Web Albums - Ransu Koiranen - tähtikuvia

Rauno Päivinen

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Rauno and welcome to the forum. Liked your images and noticed in your list of kit a nice long refractor - any more details, what do you mount it on?

Clear skies and less snow

James

Unfortunatly i don't have that long refractor anymore. I made optics and mechanics -95, with very limited budget, my friend made optical desing for that telescope with his program.

It was mounted on wooden tripod, simple alt-atz design.

Lens was made of BK7 and F2 (if i remember right), air spaced doublet. Focal lenght 2250mm. I sold refractor to my othetr astronomy friend -96, because of moving to other town.

I called to my friend few weeks ago, he still have it but havent use it much, maybe i should try to buy it back:)

Hello Rauno

I normally live in Somerset UK but am currently in Sotkamo, Finland where my wife and I are visiting our eldest son who lives here with His finnish partner and our little grandson

Are there many astronomy societies here in Finland

Regards

John

Hello Rauno

I normally live in Somerset UK but am currently in Sotkamo, Finland where my wife and I are visiting our eldest son who lives here with His finnish partner and our little grandson

Are there many astronomy societies here in Finland

Regards

John

Hello John

We have at least 38 astronomy societies here in Finland, i have been member of local south carelian astronomical society "South Carelian Nova" Tähtitieteen harrastusta Etelä-Karjalassa and head society "Ursa" from year 1979.

English pages

I hope you have enjoyed visiting Finland at wintertime, Sotkamo is about 450km north from place i live, Imatra. Weather today here is -15C and Sunshine through thin clouds.

Archived