Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

big scope upgrade help/advice plz

im waving my white flag at imaging now and im going to obs and maybe have a go at sketching

ive a limit of a 2 grand budgit for gear i all ready have 2 nice william optic ep s 20mm and 9mm though im willing to upgrade to televue if money is spare i was looking at the 14" skywatcher flex tube as it looks portable aswell as a good size

i have some questions though looking at images of the scope it is only held up with 3 bars puting the due sheild round how do i prevent from obstructing the mirror hope this makes sence any where i can buy one and advice of idea of other scopes would be good thanks also what ep would be good with this size scope

thanks

toby

The 14" is a beast - I have the 12" Flextube and it's more than enough cos I have to be portable. Not saying don't get it - just make sure you have everything considered - boot size, can it go through doors in the house, can you carry the weight or need help, etc.

You can either make a shroud for it from camping mattress (to go round the 3 trusses) or buy one new. Astrozap are a good make - the 12" one is £68:

Dew Prevention - Astrozap light shroud for Skywatcher FlexTube

I haven't seen one for the 14" yet but I'm sure it'll be available soon.

They have a couple of 2" wide bands sewn in and fittings for the lifting knobs at the end of the tube. They tie down at both ends which keeps it from draping over the mirrors.

As for ep's - the WO Uwans give "near" TV performance and a fair bit cheaper. I've used them in a 16" and they're superb. The 28mm was fantastic for wide field views of the veil nebula.

Do get to see one of these scopes in the flesh though before buying - just so you know what you're getting.

Hope that helps :(

Archived