sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

skywatcher 130p question

Hi, I am a newbie who has just unpacked his Skywatcher Explorer 130P synscan. I am aware of the inverted image but have been surprised that the image is also rotated from the vertical by about 40 degrees. I asked at the shop about this and they said its normal?

another few questions.

- how do you attach the moon filter/and where?

- on th opposite side of the eyepiece assembly to where the focusing knobs are there is a screw that doesn't seem to do anything, what's it for?

- any recommendations for a webcam rig up and how best to use it?

my apologies for the beginer questions but the instructions that came with the telescope are very limited.

The moon filter screws into the eyepiece, take a look at the end that goes into the focuser inside the eyepiece will be threads, it screws into that.

not to sure of the screw, on mine the only screws i have other then the focuser are the ones that hold the spider vanes in place, if you look into the scope you will see these holding the secoundary mirror in place (thats the one that looks up into the focuser)

Dont know about a webcam but someone will

sorry but not to sure what you mean, i might not know because have only ever looked at planets, stars etc and looking at these really dont make any difference if its upside down or not, until you want to move the scope while looking into the eyepiece, up will become down and left will become right etc.

my apologies I'm probably not explaining it well. Here's what I noticed. when I lined up a distant mountain top on the finder scope the image was inverted but the horizon was still in the "horizontal" position. When I looked into the eyepiece the mountain top was in view but the image was not in its original horizontal position but had been rotated by about 40 degrees, there is no problem with the image its just weird to see it produced like this.

The vertical axis rotation is due to your eyes not been at the same angle as the scope - if you adjust your eyeline so it is parallel with the scope you will the image will be exactly 180 degrees out. This used to annoy me at first especially looking at the planets, but you can either adjust your head as and when it suits or live with it :-)