Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which AZ4

In a couple of months I will be looking for an alt/az grab and go mount and have been looking at the Skywatcher AZ4.

Which version would you reccommend for use with an ED80 (about 3kgs), the one with the aluminium or stainless steel tripod?

The only other accessories used will be,

Dovetail bar and rings,

Diagonal,

Red dot finder,

Eyepieces.

I use the steel legged version with my Vixen ED102SS which is around the same weight / length as an ED80. It's a very solid mount but just a little heavy for true "grab and go" if I'm being fussy. I've thought about getting a lighter, aluminum, tripod for it and I'm waiting for Scopes N Skies to re-open their Astroboot to see what they have at a low cost.

If that's the only scope you will use on the mount the aluminum legs would probably be enough. You can always "upgrade" by getting a steel tube HEQ5 or CG5 tripod at a later date if you need more stability I guess - the AZ-4 fits straight into those tripods.

Thanks for that John. I already own a HEQ5 so aluminium tripod it is.

Just one more question. Is the Vixen Porta II mount preferable to the Skywatcher AZ4?

I've used a Porta Mount I with both my current scope and an ED80. I liked the mount although it is not quite as stable as the AZ-4 and a lot more expensive. The Porta does have the slow motion controls on both axis which are nice.

Well that's a turn up?.. I was never sure the AZ4 could be tripod swapped.. nobody could ever answer that one for me.. a few months ago I took a look at the ali leg edition with a view of swapping out with my eq5 steel tripod for carrying my 150P.

Well that's a turn up?.. I was never sure the AZ4 could be tripod swapped.. nobody could ever answer that one for me.. a few months ago I took a look at the ali leg edition with a view of swapping out with my eq5 steel tripod for carrying my 150P.

I would not have known this until I owned one Rob - the supplied tripod is the standard HEQ5 / EQ5 1.75" steel tubed item with no modifications as far as I can see. The AZ-4 also fits on my CG5 tripod with no problems.

Archived