Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

darditti

Sun November 26

I can't get the Sun at all in my H alpha scope at this time of year, due to the low elevation, not that there has been much Sun recently. These are, somewhat belatedly, the last images I took with the Lunt LS60. On this date AR 1127 (top right) and AR 1128 (lower left) were the prevalent features, plus a big filament.

This is a large image made from two panes taken with the DMK 41 and Lunt LS60 double-stacked. Processed with AVIStack 2 and Photoshop CS4. Single-exposed, curves adjusted to bring out prominences.

David

sun2010-11-26-DLA.jpg

Thanks Sheri etc. I like this one too, been keeping it on my desktop for a long time – only sun I have seen for weeks!

Splendid, David. The value of the double stack is evident in the surface detail but still you have good prominences, and in a single exposure! I always do separate ones. I must be doning something wrong...

Olly

Olly, the only adjustments I am making post-stacking are to levels and curves. I pull the curve up a bit to bring out the proms. I have gone off the artificial method of trying to blend separate exposures, which always involves some arbitrary alterations to the data to try to make it look seamless.

I have modified my LS60 as well....

Olly, the only adjustments I am making post-stacking are to levels and curves. I pull the curve up a bit to bring out the proms. I have gone off the artificial method of trying to blend separate exposures, which always involves some arbitrary alterations to the data to try to make it look seamless.

I have modified my LS60 as well....

I agree that it is hard not do some creative inventing with the double exposure method. The modifications sound brave...

Olly

Very nicely done, David. Very well processed.

Ahh I remember what it looks like now :-) Have not see the sun here for ages. We are having a bad run, Aus has been having recurring floods, Storms, Cyclones and get to see very little sun lately.

Thanks for the reminder :-)

Bill D