SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron 127 slt help needed

Hi all

I have been lucky enough to have had a nextstar 127 as my chrissie pressie. :(:D:D from my wonderful wife (I knew the hints would work !!!)

Now im a total noob, and I'm not sure if I have a problem or its a quirk/feature of the scope. (and this is before I take it outside!)

The issue is when attaching the scope to the fork arm clamp.It shoiuld be easy --- one screw, one dovetail one clamp but the dovetail and clamp do not seem to align well. No matter what i do there seems to be some play/movement between the scope and the fork arm. The best fit I got did not align the scope flush to the fork arm and allowed some wobble when genlty moved by hand to test the fit.

Im sure im missing something simple but I dont know what. I've followed the manual to the letter but can't see where I'm going wrong.

advice /help please.

Get the clamp level first then place the dovetail into it so it is flat and flush to the side your resting on and bottom of the dovetail pushed up to the mount. Then tighten the screw keeping it in this position. The natural force of the screw should push it well into it's natural seating without any lateral movement.

Or could you take 3 photos so we can see the dovetail, the clamp, and then fixed together (if that doesn't work). Is the wobble coming from the joint or the mount? And is the dovetail firmly fixed to the tube (or rings).

Many thanks Brantuk. I will get photos taken and posted asap.

I read your post in reply to another slt issue where you mentioned mounting the scope as far forward as possible. After doing that, i seem to have a better fit, and from what i understand its a case of ensuring the scope is offered to the clamp quite precisley. I assumed that being adescribed as a dovetail fitting it would be a tighter fitcthan it is (uif that makes sense)

Yup - that's exactly what I was getting at - offering it fairly precisely so when you lock down everything is flush to.

I suggested forward mounting cos the rear mirror cell tends to be quite a bit heavier than the front end. I have a similar fitting and when I add a diagonal and camera or large ep it becomes heavier still so a "near" balance is useful to achieve to save the motors :(

What I'd do is take the ota off, turn the clamp so the tightening bolt is on the top, then unscrew it till it's completely clear of the clamp. You can put a finger tip on the bolt inside the clamp till you feel the inner surface level.

Then tilt the dovetail bar in till it sits flat against the mount and tighten away. The bolt should lock over the angle of the dovetail bar - hope that does it :(

(nice lookin scope btw)

Definitely - the dovetail isn't sitting flat against the clamp (or saddle as it's commonly called) and the bolt looks like it's tightening under neath the dovetail bar - allmost as if it's the wrong size for the saddle. Very strange looking - good idea calling the retailer.

No probs helping - I'm curious to know how this one pans out so do let me know - good luck with greenwood :(

• 2 weeks later...

well interesting day indeed, apparantly the way its m ounted is correct! took the scope into the suppliers andf yes its supposed to look like that! the trick is apparantly with the celestron 127 9and possibly other celestrons) is to leave the ota attached to the mount once its attached.

may sound simple but I hope it helps others

Archived