Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

johnb

USB Lead Length

Hi

I use my Cannon 450d for imaging and use the standard lead to connect it to my laptop, i use the Cannon Utility to contol the camera and the images are downloaded to the laptop as soon as they are taken - this all works fine - Now how long a lead can i have between the camera and the laptop before things down work, I want to have the latop inside my shed with the scope out side but am non sure if a 4 m lead will work (or is available)

Regards

John B

A standard usb cable works upto about 3m in length. After that you need an active usb cable which are about 5m long. These can be daisy chained by serially connecting 5 cables.

Peter

Your have two other options which i have used.

a) USB over Ethernet cable adapters, these cost around £20.00 and if used with Cat6 cable will allow you to have upto 30 meters distance, but only at USB 1, the camera will still work fine the download will be slower.

:) Silex Gigabit Network USB Extender. this costs around £100.00 and links into a Gigabit network via Ethernet allowing devices to be shard over the network and works with USB 2 speeds.

I use both of these and they work fine.

As for long USB leads, I have found them to be unreliable.

Thanks thats good news, next question can I get an active lead that has the right connector to fit in the camera rather than joining leads ?

John B

You should be fine if you use the lead that came with the camera into an the end of an active USB lead...

I use a Dual Active lead to connect from the obs laptop to the Pier/mount and have used a longer 5mm lead in the past.. all bought from maplins...

Just checked Maplins are getting expensive... try Cables2U ..

http://www.cables2u.co.uk/usb-c-21.html?gclid=CK_bhomSiqYCFYUe4QodYUQHoA

Billy...

Edited by Psychobilly

You have some good replies to your question already, I add, although in theory you should use an active lead, often a good quality usb lead will work fine over that length ( even with an additional usb to usb extender connector

Edited by freesaxon

i beleive you can only connect 5 usb leads together with repeter bouncers before they start to fail (cause more errors in file transfire) used to use longer ones (before i found the cat 5/6 earl uk mentioned) but they did get really bad very quickly

In my experience Devices that are powered over the USB connection are often more problematic than ones that just use the link for signalling...

You can manage 12m with an active lead (rather than the 5m that is often quoted). You can chain 5 of them.

I use a 12m lead that terminates in a hub. That has 4 sockets and I currently connect mine to:

1) HEQ5

2) QHY5 guidecam

3) Canon 450D

No problems.

You can manage 12m with an active lead (rather than the 5m that is often quoted). You can chain 5 of them.

I use a 12m lead that terminates in a hub. That has 4 sockets and I currently connect mine to:

1) HEQ5

2) QHY5 guidecam

3) Canon 450D

No problems.

Hi dmahon,

Thanks for the heads up on that lead. It's listed as an 'active' lead; does that mean that it draws extra power (and therefore needs an additional power supply)? Could I run this from the 5V USB socket of a netbook?

An active lead draws power fron the USB 5V supply to power a driver chip at the end of the lead. This restores the transmit and receive signals so that they meet the USB spec. Before being transmitted down the next cable.

Edited by BeyondVision

I use it on my netbook (Dell mini 9). It doesn't need any additional power (though it does have what I assume is a power socket, I probably to boost power to devices that are attached to the hub. I have no idea what voltage would be required as the manual is lacking in any detail).