Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Christmas day Jupiter

Jupiterholic

Managed to catch the big guy striking a very classic pose yesterday evening. Should write a word of thanks to my very understanding girlfriend who gave me half an hour off from xmas festivities to try out my new IR filter. Seeing wasn't great but was better than its been for most of december and look at that SEB, so near to completion!

post-22195-133877513018_thumb.jpg

Thanks all! I didn't actually think it was a very good shot, especially after seeing Freddies latest amazing shots in the other thread. But then he does use a C-14 and live in a place where 'average seeing' is better than 'superb seeing' for the rest of us.. I'm not jealous.. honest.. :)

Excellent picture,

I have the same OTA as yourself but fitted to an alt/az mount. I also have that webcam but get nowhere near that quality.

Is it just the webcam or you using barlows? if so which one? Also what are your settings for the webcam? how many images have you stacked to do this. I think my major issue is focusing so making a mask to cope with that. Once I get this cracked I will progress from the moon to Jupiter and try and get some images.

Paul

Excellent picture,

I have the same OTA as yourself but fitted to an alt/az mount. I also have that webcam but get nowhere near that quality.

Is it just the webcam or you using barlows? if so which one? Also what are your settings for the webcam? how many images have you stacked to do this. I think my major issue is focusing so making a mask to cope with that. Once I get this cracked I will progress from the moon to Jupiter and try and get some images.

Paul

Yeah focusing on Jupiter is a pain in the a**. I usually registax my first capture immediately to check I'm in focus, then press on. There are easier ways than that though I'm sure.

For this image I used an IR filter, but really its down to practice and luck I guess. I use sharpcap and set exposure to 1 and gain to about 18. That usually results in good contrast on the disc. Took me a while to find that combination worked for me. Plus I use photoshop in the processing stage.

Here's my latest moon mosaic through the same scope and camera, taken through a red filter and made of 33 panes.

Mare Serenitatis 24_12_10 33panes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers

Archived