sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Christmas light show

There was a Christmas light show this evening - three Iridium flares in an hour, two within a minute of each other in the same place. It was great to watch the two satellites chase each other across the sky, and quickly flare up brighter than anything else up there, before receding into darkness. I got two of them.

Iridiumflare2.png

Iridiumflare1.png

Lovely Iridiums. My first and second flares were on the same night in the same spot within a minute of each other. Purely by chance as i was packing up for the night.

Your exposure time does seem a bit too long and thats why you have star trails. Judging by the size of the trails....................it might be worth trying the same settings (ISO) but on a 20 second exposure.

Lovely flares.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Nice landscapes and capture. Were they targets of opportunity or did you research where they would appear?

I used Calsky to research when they would appear, and I tried to aim in the right direction (as you can see, I didn't quite with the first capture!) and set my watch to the exact time showed by the heavens-above clock so that I could start the exposure at the last second so as to avoid missing any of it.

Lovely Iridiums. My first and second flares were on the same night in the same spot within a minute of each other. Purely by chance as i was packing up for the night.

Your exposure time does seem a bit too long and thats why you have star trails. Judging by the size of the trails....................it might be worth trying the same settings (ISO) but on a 20 second exposure.

Lovely flares.

Thankyou very much - I also saw those two (in Cetus, I think) - they were both showing up on Calsky within a minute of eachother, but as you can see, I failed to get them both in my 60 second shot (the bottom picture is the first of the two). The first one was earlier, just after sunset. This one was also very impressive with the naked eye - I was watching the orange sunset glow, and it was suddenly intersected by the lazy flare of the passing satellite.

I noticed the trails too - I always take the longest possible shot to avoid missing any of the flares, and also to get the most light from the stars behind. The trails don't usually bother me as I have never taken a tracked widefield shot. I could try a 30 second exposure - that's the closest I can get.