Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from new member in Manchester

bodhi

Hi all,

Just popping a quick post up to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Chris and I'm as new as they come to looking at the stars (just so you guys are prepared for the inevitable stupid questions!)

I've long stared up at the sky in wonder, especially those times away from the neon fuzz of the city and have wanted to get a scope for many years, but never got around to it.

Today I bought myself a Christmas present, a Skymax 127 with the GOTO mount thingy. It seemed to get decent reviews for the price, be small enough to move around, yet offer a reasonable aperture and hopefully with the goto system will allow me to find things of interest a little quicker than trying to figure it out from scratch.

I guess initially, I'm interested in viewing planets and the moon (do we all start there?) and will hopefully progress to deeper sky objects soon enough.

I look forward to discovering many amazing things and will be trawling through these forums with interest.

Any tips and advice is appreciated and positively encouraged!

Cheers

Chris :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new scope, I hope the sky clears for you to get to grips with it.

Plenty of warm cloths and good boots, as after a while you will forget how long you have been out.

Don't forget to let the scope cool down for a bit too, or your view will be poor, due to air currents in the tube.

Enjoy!

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL :)

Even with goto you will benefit from downloading "Stellarium". It's totally free and a great piece of planetarium software (you still need to know what to tell the goto to goto lol).

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask - so feel free to ask away in the beginners help section and someone will be along with good advice real soon :p

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the warm welcome... quite the opposite temperature to my first night's trial run with the new scope! As was mentioned, I lost track of time and only realised that I'd probably been outside long enough when I lost feeling in my toes.

A few teething problems, but I will broach those things in the beginners forum.

I took the advice and downloaded the stellarium software. It is absolutely fantastic and a huge credit to all involved that it's been kept open source and free!

@donkeyears, I hear that the celestron version has some better accessories with it, so I'm sure it will be worth the wait :hello2: I didn't realise this till this evening, but certainly not complaining as the clarity seems excellent with the optics and there is plenty to keep me occupied :) I'm fortunate enough to have Stockport binocular and telescope centre about 5 minutes away who had one left.

Right, more reading to be done :p

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. Glad you've got off to a good start with your observing. In the longer run, a dew shield of some description will be required as the glass at the front will be attracting this problem sooner or later.

Continued clear skies

James

Archived