SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xmas eve Mare Serenitatis

Jupiterholic

Ello all,

This is my second major mosaic and my first using a 2 x barlow. Taken with a red filter through the set-up in my signature. I took it this morning at the ungodly hour of 5-6am. I was shooting through mist by the end of it. Its made up of 33 panes all put together in photoshop.

Merry christmas!

post-22195-133877512785_thumb.jpg

Beautiful crisp image - nice one!

d

Cheers, high res is here, much crispier!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57440920@N04/5287535065/

@astroblagger - a good friend of mine, (and experienced astrophotographer) told me a red filter would help enhance contrast and lead to a sharper image, having shot the moon with and without the filter he's definitely right. My non filter shots are much softer. Not sure of the science behind it but it does seem to work, I'm sure someone more experienced than I can explain it better.

Red light is a longer wavelength so it scatters less than green and blue.

Great shot, I admire your dedication is getting up at that time in the morning and in these temperatures...:)

I knew someone more experienced than me would explain it better! :p thanks!

re: getting up early, sometimes insomnia and astronomy compliment each other quite well. I did sit there shivering and wondering if I was slightly insane though.

Beautiful mosaic, really sharp with good contrast well done. I have just bought a spc900 and hope to start imaging soon, can't wait! My scope is not in the same league as yours but I am hopeful of getting something decent once I get to grips with the various bits of software.

do you still shoot in black and white?but just leave filter in situ

I use sharpcap so I just turn colour enable off and grayscale the final image anyway. Filter goes in the end of my diagonal whilst the barlow screws into the end of the SPC.

Thanks for all the postive comments! and meeeerrrrryyyy christmas. I'm off to open my presents now.

Cheers

Archived