SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Obs re-design (nearly)

martin_h

My obs is great! Been in it less than a year now and I wouldn't go back to standing out in the cold for anything. But there is a small design fault - my horizon is about 30 degrees north, east and south, a bit higher in the west, so I am missing out on some things - the orion neb being one.

So I have been playing with pencil and paper trying to decide how to loose a foot off of those walls - 3 days I've been at it now.

Her indoors has just looked ocer my shoulder and asked what I'm at, so I explained, she thought about it for a nano second and said "why dont I just make the metal thingy in the middle (pier) taller?"

DOHH!

I'm an engineer - why didnt I think of that?

Job for the summer then..:)

I'm thinking of building an 8 or 9ft pier for exactly that reason, with a platform at about 5-6ft for observing. I'm assuming that the pier, at that height, needs a bit more rigidity and mass than normal. Haven't done the sums yet, it's still a pipe dream (no pun intended!).

d

Archived