SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Time for a change in scopes.

Catanonia

I love change :) Keeps you on your toes.

I am really wanting to sell the

SkyWatcher ED120 Pro Diamond Black

SkyWatcher ED80 II Pro Gold

Refractors and replace them with something a bit more specialized.

Now thinking of a Borg ED 101 Astrograph refractor F4.1 version kit. About £3000

Thoughts ??

If you were to step up what would you go for.

The reason for me, is the quality I have heard from the Borgs, the F ratio and the fact I could easily buy another lens unit for it to make different focal lengths if I wanted to.

Also the ED101 is smack in the middle of the ED120 ED80 I have, with focal reducers for the astrograph it would seem about right, nice low F stop on it plus I am large chip CCD so easily to get nice big close in shots.

Well ???

What else would you buy under the £4,000 mark ?

It's short, that's for sure. The focal length is a bit longer than a ZS66 by my maths so it'll be widefields all the way.

If I had £4k for a new scope? I guess a MN190 for those still, windless nights when I want a longer focal length. I'd also have another FLT98 for that medium length and probably keep my ZS66 for the larger targets.

FWIW, I think you've got a lot more mileage to go with the scopes you have. My only complaint with the ED's are a bit slow at their native f/l for the fainter targets I like to image, but saying that I haven't got round to using a reducer on them yet so that could yet make that complaint redundant.

Tony..

Yeah Tony, @ F7.5 they are slow both ED's I have and hence the reasoning for a astrograph refractor.

Widefields, not really a problem considering that most of the images I do I end up reducing in size by over 1/2 in terms of pixel height and width.

Trying to find information on the ED101 Borg F4.1 as to what Focal Length it actually is.

How about one of those 8" f4 imaging Newts?

That is the other option the like of MN190..

Though not sure I fancy sug big wind sock and the colmination required. I like the ease of refractors.

That said, never even looked through a newt :)

When you start to pay a lot more than usual for glass, you expect something a little better :) The Borgs ( I have one ) offer excellent clarity and contrast, reasonable spot sizes, and quite a flat field.

Given any choice however, I would save the extra £££ for a fully corrected quadruplet. This one:

Takahashi FSQ-106ED refractor

Expensive yes, but an investment that will serve you for many years with care, if not for life. As Tony says, the tubes you have are still extremely serviceable, why not hang on for a bit and save up for the Creme de la Creme? :p

The only problem with this lousy country is the weather, which really doesn't lend itself to getting the best out of investments like quality telescopes! :hello2:

When you start to pay a lot more than usual for glass, you expect something a little better :) The Borgs ( I have one ) offer excellent clarity and contrast, reasonable spot sizes, and quite a flat field.

Given any choice however, I would save the extra £££ for a fully corrected quadruplet. This one:

Takahashi FSQ-106ED refractor

Expensive yes, but an investment that will serve you for many years with care, if not for life. As Tony says, the tubes you have are still extremely serviceable, why not hang on for a bit and save up for the Creme de la Creme? :p

The only problem with this lousy country is the weather, which really doesn't lend itself to getting the best out of investments like quality telescopes! :hello2:

WOW !!!!! That is very nice.....

Lottery tickets ???

Takahashi FSQ85ED. About three grand and mechanically and optically near perfect. 450 and 328mm, giving a huge range of targets. It holds focus all night and the colour is a dream to process. Mine is not for sale and is never likely to be. I'd like a 106 as well but not instead. (Another never very likely scenario!!)

Examples of results are here;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Galaxies/M31best-v1/1056334673_daDu7-X2.jpg

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Nebulae-and-clusters/M42CCBOV2010/1100345185_HHd4m-X2.jpg

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/HARTLEY-HEART/1039776082_JZuEH-X2.jpg

Olly

PS my used TEC140 would have been inside budget for you at £3,800 with rings and case. However, in the UK I don't know if I would want f7.

A second hand Tak Epsilon would also be in there and f2.8. I don't like the diffracion spikes personally but imagine working at that f ratio between the clouds!

Archived