SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TV 8mm Plossl

toshapetriji

I was awake a 3am this morning and after taking a look outside was welcomed with clear skies, the first for a while. Although bitterly cold I decided to give first light to my recently purchased TV 8mm Plossl.

The TV 8mm Plossl is my first TV eyepiece and the overall build quality is high as one would expect. Specs next.

* Focal length 8mm

* Field Stop Diameter 6.5mm

* Eye-relief 6mm

* Apparent Field 50 degrees

This EP weighs in at 51gms.

In the Nexstar 4SE the EP is working at x166

After fitting to the scope I turned my attention to the moon. The field stop diameter of 6.5mm required careful positioning of the eye but once this is mastered you are met with sharp views, noticeably better than the Celestron 8mm I tried alongside.

I viewed without a filter and found the image to be contrasty with a good stable image right across the FOV. Craters were well defined with smaller impact sites showing up bright and crisp.

In fact the images were so good that a good hour was lost exploring the surface with better views than I have experienced before. Now I´m no expert and maybe the viewing condtions were better today but the TV at this stage was living up to the companies reputation.

I was getting very cold at this stage but Stellarium showed that Saturn was appearing over the house and as the cloud was beginning to appear decided to take a look.

Wow what a view, sure it was small and the rings are only just opening but it was definitely there. The TV showed a bright image against a dark background with the ring clearly visible. I was not able to see the Cassini division in any great detail, I think due to the thin cloud beginning to obscure my view and sure enough within a few minutes the cloud had thickened to the point that my cold fingers and feet won the battle and I decided to pack up for the night.

The 8mm Plossl has short eye relief of 6mm which some people find a problem it seems but I like to get personal with my EP´s and the TV suited me well. Was it worth the price? A resounding yes from me.

• 4 weeks later...

That might just be what I'm looking for... Warthog wrote a piece on eps and recommended an 8, 18 and 25mm for an f5 scope... I havn't got a clue but I'm learning fast... what sort of budget are we talking for one of those?

That might just be what I'm looking for... Warthog wrote a piece on eps and recommended an 8, 18 and 25mm for an f5 scope... I havn't got a clue but I'm learning fast... what sort of budget are we talking for one of those?

The Tele Vue plossls start at around £70 each. Sounds a lot but, as this review suggests, they are top quality.

A couple of years ago i purchased a used vixen sp mount and the guy gave me a tv 11mm plossl, as a gift. it`s a really good ep I use it most often on the moon along with a celestron ultima barlow.Great contrast and sharp images. You get a good ep with televue even when it`s free !!

bob

15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 32mm.

these are the ones for me, then its off to the radians for higher mags, i cant stand looking through pin holes :)

Televue are sold at telescopehouse for fair price :)

i have said it before and i will say it again "its a god damn shame FLO do not sell those"

• 4 weeks later...
just wondering if the TeleVue 8mm Radian would be ok with a 12 inch 300p dob as it's a fast newtonian?

That would be a great combination - 187x with a 60 degree apparent field of view and 20mm of eye relief - very nice :)

Archived