sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

HEQ5

Chubster

hi all...managed to get out lastnight and use my new mount for the first time all be it for 10 mins but i have a possibly stupid question....is it possible to autoguide with it ? I know i can press a button and get it to track but when i let go it stops ! Is it possible to have it track automatically ? Do I need software for this or am i missing something with the controller ?

Cheers

Chubster

I'd guess power isn't an issue if it will move with the buttons?

Captain Chaos

No, for whatever reason (I'm sure an elecy bod will explain it) but when the mount is short on power it will still slew at x16, x2 etc it just won't track at sidereal.

I stripped my EQ6 down because it wouldn't track but would slew OK. The problem was down to not enough mAmp getting to the mount. :D

Did you go through the GOTO setup routine? I only ask because if you didn't the mount won't automatically track at sidereal rate. You need to set the tracking rate in the setup menu. It only tracks automatically if you take it through one of the GOTO routines.

But Gaz is right, Skyscan is thirsty for power and will stop working if the powertank is running a bit low.

Russ

... remembering it will only track in one axis and it will be almost impossible to see movement unless you look through a scope... looking at the mount and expecting to see it move is a non-starter.

Arthur

You should be able to hear it, though, no?

Cheers for all the responses.

Like I said I was only out for about 10 mins or so and I wasnt looking through eyepiece. Just noticed on the laptop screen that if I let go of the button the image kept moving across the screen. I think Gaz might have something with the power....my powerpack was damaged on del so it might not be holding its charge. I only got about 10 mins use before it went dead and its been plugged in since I got it :shock:

But the general consensus is that it should track automatically, yes ? I will double check when the blooming wind dies down !

With regards N / S hemisphere...take it this is selected by the button marked N OFF S on the front of the controller. If this is correct then what if (which it wasnt) it was set to OFF. Would this then stop the tracking ?

Anyway will try it out again and let you know results

Cheer everyone

Chub

Hi Chubster,

If the mount was set to OFF the drives would be non-functional but you've already said the control buttons were working. If it was set to S by mistake, then the object would move always move off screen as soon as you stop pressing the direction buttons.

If the power was low, then I would have expected the directions button to be dead aswell.

Russ

If the power was low, then I would have expected the directions button to be dead aswell.

[/quote

When my HEQ5 (standard) isn't getting enough power the first thing that goes is the tracking, it will still move OK at x16 - x2 for quite a while afterwards.

When the power is low the green LED in the middle goes orange when a direction button is pressed. When the power gets even lower the button goes red when the direction button is pressed.

The tracking seems to work okish is the scope is perfectly balance, but the motors have to work harder when the scope isn't balanced properly.

Hope this helps.

Ant

• 1 month later...