Narrowband

Hello I'm new...

David L

Hi there folks....:p

Brand new to astronomy and the lounge. Although I did a little astronomy and visit the local observatory in Chesterfield, where I lived when I was younger.

I have just purchased a 6inch Newtonian and have just had a look around at the moon and Jupiter, nothing too difficult to start off. (I have had to align the spotter and that took me most of one night! :))

I would like to eventually hook up my digital camera, so I might be hassling a few folks in here to figure out how it's done...

Cheers everybody...

D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David and welcome to the forum. Glad to see you've got your eye in already, especially given the weather been having. If you have future designs in the astrophotography direction, may I suggest Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (£20 from FLO above) which will set you straight on what you need to get to obtain the results you're after. It's an area of activity that can work out expensive (you get what yo pay for) and having an accurate overview from the start will prove priceless.

Continued clear skies

James

hi david i live not to far from chesterfield were is the local observatory in chesterfield is there a group/society there ? i would love to no were it is please reply but a think you have said that thats where you grew up cheers pat and welcome new my self

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone...

Todd8137... there is an observatory in Newbold called the 'Winter Horace Barnett Observatory' it's behind Eyre's Chapel, I think... as far as I am aware, it is still a membership club, but they have regular open days and are not awkward or snotty about who wishes to become a member.

As for equipment, without being able to go into details, I think what I have is pretty basic, entry level stuff. Short scale 6 inch mirror 750/150. two lenses...a barlow and something else I can't figure out just yet....(I'll ask later )

An equatorial mount and stand... (can you get these converted to have an automated tracker on it?)

And that's about it...

D

Archived